Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying Error Type On 1996 Canada Loonie - Mint State

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2016  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Coin Community. I picked up this roll of 1996 Loons, and found 5 coins with the following markings. Wondering if this is a die chip, die fill, etc..type of errors? They are all over the coin. Thanks as always.

Edited by upc239
04/11/2016 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2187 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2016  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is die deterioration
Valued Member
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregJG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with Paulsz, you can see the way the extra metal fades out in both directions.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2016  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Is this a common occurrence for circulation coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
953 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2016  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although not a expert, yes its quite common
I have seen it on everything except
maybe a Toonie.
And I think Paulsz is correct
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2016  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input so far. Is it possible that this error is specifically a die accumulation error? As mentioned in the link below:

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...lations&id=5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
662 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2016  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and no. The images for "Die Accumulation" on that website do appear to be die deterioration error coins. The word "die accumulation" however, is not accurate - actually opposite to what the die would look like. The die would appear to have a concave surface at the point of the error, rather than a raised surface as the word would imply. When struck with a deteriorated die, coins will have extra raised areas, additional to the intended design.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05