Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any VAMers Out There?   (1885-O VAM-3 ?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7682 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  10:25 am Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked up a colorful Morgan for my Everyman Set and was just poking around on VAMWorld to see if I could narrow down the possible VAM number for this date/mint mark combo. 

I believe that it is VAM 3 based upon the (possible) doubling of the "1" in the date and a few of the other "diagnostic" markers, primarily the (don't use as a primary diagnostic) "thick polishing lines in curl of Phrygian Cap", as imaged in Photo C at http://www.vamworld.com/1885-O+VAM-3 .  I do not have the coin in hand at this time, just playing around with the historical images from HA.com.

I did not bother with the reverse since the reverse image is not sharp enough.

Thank you for your interest and comments.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
05/03/2016 10:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8921 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'85-O can be a tough, nearly impossible date/mm to attribute in many cases. I stopped even looking at '85-O simply because I have nearly a dozen or so in my collection from years ago that I have yet to be able to attribute. My suggestion is get the coin in hand and then see what you possibly have. As it stands from these photos I'm not sure it's a VAM3. The date position looks slightly right of VAM3 and the die polish lines appear to be a slightly different direction.

Nice looking Morgan for AU-58.
Member SSDC, TNA
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could not agree more that the coin is a splendid looking AU-58... I've always though it would be quite a challenge to put together a set of AU-58+ ;)

Does not match the VAM-3 die pairing on the page, so I am inclined to believe it is a different VAM with chance of maybe VAM-3 and different die pairing. MM position looks a little high and perhaps shifted right. I've got a few 1885-Os, so I will get them out to compare and take a peek at the listings tomorrow if you have not pinned this one down. In the meantime, any other close ups of potential features/die markers?

Good luck, and have fun ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7682 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have the coin in hand yet. The above images were from a Heritage Auction archive;

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-doll...Lot=1x=0&y=0
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of now I am guessing VAM-8.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7682 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the coin in the mail today and the "windows" are so cloudy/scratched (and chipped) that I am going to send it in for reholdering & TrueView along with some others. The edge toning colors are very vibrant in hand!

Edited by oih82w8
05/09/2016 11:25 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been bashed before for "resurrecting" old threads, but this one is not too old, and I honestly don't care because I do so will good intent as I have in the past as well. The coin in this thread matches the VSS attributed VAM-8 that I have. It's just hard to search for threads and find so many questions go unanswered or answered with uncertainty, as with my guess of VAM-8 last year.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05