Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade It - 1974 Lincoln

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  03:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think?

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add makescents9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10643 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-66RD very nice.
True North
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beauty , I'm overlooking the hits ( marks ) on reverse.
MS-66RD .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66RD+.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which one do you like better? This one has luster off the charts, frosty fields and is an earlier reverse die state:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
05/14/2016 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pick the second one#65292; luster over slightly more imperfection.
I bet the latter looks better under naked eyes.
Magnification is a totally different game.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the one in first photo didn't have any chatter on upper right arm it would be an MS-68+ . super clean fields , A ton of original mint luster .
So that's my pick !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4518 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2016  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the first one, and I say it's 66 rd
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64 RD is my guess at its best. I see a few scratches myself.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toned coin in the OP is a PCGS MS-67RD (not mine).

The untoned one is my coin, I graded 66RD. There are some hits on the ear, a fairly distracting hit on the shoulder and lots of stuff on the rims that I feel would probably hold it back from 67. It has the luster and eye appeal though!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
05/15/2016 11:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10643 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one for me..
True North
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second one has one major distraction on the shoulder, which will keep it at MS66RD. I will grade a coin MS65 if there are two or more major distractions like spots or a cluster scratches.
The first one has a few minor issues but no major distraction. So the grade will be slight higher for the first one. But the luster looks better for the second one. People rank eye appealing tone better than luster nowadays. This may change in the future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4518 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly can't figure out how the TPG'S grade these Lincolns.. I just can't see the first one being a 67 with the marks on the reverse steps and about 11 of clock.. I must be missing something
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2016  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin has two noticeable but not distracting contact marks on reverse and 4-5 very small contact marks in total. It also has one or two hidden scuff marks. So it is close to MS67. MS67 allows all those except allowing only one noticeable contact marks. So I said it is not yet MS67 but MS66+.
For the second coin, there is one group of contact marks on ear and one group of hairlines on shoulder, which is distracting. It has also noticeable scuff marks. So the second coin is MS65+.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2016  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are making the same mistake I did years ago, putting too much weight on contact marks that tend to stand out in pictures. Grading is about these: eye appeal>luster>distractions>strike (at 67 up only). The problem with grading from pictures is you can't really tell much about the first two things. In order judge those, you have to make estimations....and those estimations only really come with experience.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05