Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die Creating. What Is Involved?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,247Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44587 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  3:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is probably the shorten form of how the dies are created. I know probably there are a lot of steps that I've forgotten, but this is a summation that my help to explain the process in a shortened form.

Hope this helps a bit. I found some new images from the U.S mint site and some I had from past searches. Just trying to help us understand the process a bit with pictures.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this is great - So all the working Hubs are used for then is to Make new Master Dies?

Then Die cracks, cuds etc they are all on the Master Dies that obviously need replacing?

I have another question - I am wondering on the Doubled Die Varieties. Some of the listings now say Working Hub Doubled Die and others just Doubled Die. Can you explain what the difference is between them please?

Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44587 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not quite.

Master hub (positive)
Master Die (negative)
Working hub(positive)
Working dies (negative)
The breakdown on happens on the working dies. The working hubs can show wear and hub breakdowns. But this is rare. The master hub is the creator of the master die and just a few of these are created.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
2882 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2016  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks coop for the information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2016  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coincents there can be doubling on any of the hubs or dies if this is what your asking...this would in turn determine the rarity of the doubling on the coins produced because of just one of the working dies had doubling then the subsequent coins produced would be much rarer than if there was hub doubling that created many doubled working dies and so on-coop will correct me if I explained something wrong but I hope this helps?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44587 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2016  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I add images to subject when they come along. I just wish I have a die enlarged so It would show the posts on the devices. Like the Posts on the 'B' in LIBERTY, The mint mark post on the 'D'. The center loop post on the '8' on the date. Still waiting for these images though.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2016  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Slamnbass. Yes, definitely helps. I was just wondering the difference (being rarity) because Wexlers has both types of listings.

I appreciate it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44587 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2016  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thread RSC

Added this to make searching easier.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05