Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Coin Magazines?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 9,872Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2016  8:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinoisseur to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to coins, and I am looking for suggestions for the best magazines/publications for someone like me who is looking to get into coin collecting. I have a small collection; mostly U.S. platinum, gold, and silver coins. But I'm looking to learn more and expand my collection. I love history, and I've been considering getting into ancient coins.. If anyone has suggestions about what magazines I should look into I would appreciate it. Thanks. Cheers
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16149 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2016  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , As far as magazines go , Coin World and Coins Magazine are very good . With books there are many to choose from . but right off the bat get your self the 2017 Red Book of all U.S. coins . just don't pay too much attention to their prices of listed coins on gold and silver because of the ever changing prices of precious metals . and some prices of other coins go up or down through out the year .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2016  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite by far is free.

Numismatic News Express.

I think it is every month.

Fairly certain it is the exact same publication as the paid print magazine too.

http://www.numismaticnews.net/numis...news-express

Best wooden nickel you will ever spend.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6725 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2016  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Coins and CoinAge are both good "general purpose" coin magazines. They have articles for beginners to intermediate collectors and present a wealth of knowledge between their covers. Either would be good for you.

Coin World and Numismatic News are weekly newspapers and provide the latest info on what is happening within the hobby. They also include articles on numismatic topics covering a broad range of collecting areas. Again, either would be a good choice.

You should also consider joining the American Numismatic Association ( ANA). As part of your membership, you will receive its magazine - Numismatist - which delivers great articles every month. It covers a wide range of collecting interests. Highly recommended!

And, of course, don't forget about the treasure trove of information that can be found here on CCF. There's lots of good info to be found via the links at the left of the screen as well in the various topics offered up by members.

Good Luck and Happy Collecting!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinoisseur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into joining the ANA. I do have a Red Book, and "Coin Collectors Survival Manual" which had some good info on getting started. I looked for some magazines at our local books store but they didn't have any.. I'll check out the 4 or 5 suggestions online, thanks again everyone
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Afab67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have several subscriptions, but now I have Coins and The Numismatist. Not everyone likes the same journals. Coin World is supposed to be the most popular, but some issues I can take or leave.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8533 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to read this previous thread:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=260727

My favorites all come through joining specialty clubs like the Early American Coppers, Numismania Biblio Society, John Reich Collectors Society, and of course the ANA.

I only read the big ones ( Coin World & Numismatic News) through their free email subscriptions these days.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
07/16/2016 01:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice. The Coin World monthly subscription provides guideline pricing for all US issues in all grades, which I reference regularly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS -

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinoisseur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I tried to run a search for similar threads before I posted this one, but I did not see that thread so thanks for the link Westcoin. I'm still learning how to navigate this forum.. I've decided to subscribe to the ANA this week, so I'll get their magazine, and I think I'll start with Coin World since there seems to be a lot of praise for it. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weekly Coin World mag is pretty much just dribble. The (separate) monthly issue is a quick reference to the value of almost any coin in any grade in any series.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19250 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2016  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy backdate issues of
The Numistmatist.

I pick only those issues that I would have an interest in.

Cheap way to read high quality articles, backed with excellent research.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6725 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2016  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The weekly Coin World mag is pretty much just dribble.

Have to disagree with this assessment. The weekly edition of Coin World provides news/updates about many areas of the hobby and helps create a well-rounded collector. I find it to be an interesting read and believe it keeps me in touch with what's going on in the hobby. I believe there's more to collecting than just knowing the latest value of the coins in my collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20468 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2016  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A word of advice though. Not sure where you live or how you get your mail but always be careful of this. The reason is in many areas crime is rather a problem with home breakins. May criminals watch people's mail boxes for such magazines sticking out. Such magazines can indicate a location for coins and/or currency laying around. So if your mailbox can not completely enclose such publications, be careful.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 9,872Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: