Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will Silver Ever Hit $100/Oz

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 15,041Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  04:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add joeysanders627 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I own a substantial amount of silver eagles. I've read a bunch of articles about how silver is going to eventually hit $1000/oz. If that happens, great. I'm not holding my breath. I would like to ask the community whether or not they believe silver can hit $100/oz within the next five years. Also, what would have to happen for that to occur?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it , and if it did reach $100 within 5 years that $100 wouldn't buy you too much
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15588 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
> Joey < , I think your reading too many articles by people who believe they have a crystal ball . every one who owns silver including me has their own future price in the back of their minds . For one to say it will someday hit
$1,000 an once is a fantasizer . $100 an once is not likely to happen within the next 10 years IMHO . So if you want to play '' Spin For Silver '' ,my prediction is $52.35 an once within the next 2 YEARS .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the all time record is $49/oz, $1000 per seems outlandish. Like trout said, if it hits 100 or 1000 you still won't be able to buy much with it. I do see it hitting $100 per but 50+ years or so, and a loaf of bread will be 20 bucks.
Learn More...
United States
34241 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Say you have two $20 bills.

You spend one on an ounce of silver.

You put the $20 bill and the ounce of silver in a drawer.

In ten years when silver is $100 per ounce, you open the drawer and take out the $20 bill and the ounce of silver.

What do you have?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9649 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like to ask the community whether or not they believe silver can hit $100/oz within the next five years.

Could it? Yes. Will it? No unless our system of gov't collapses and that's unlikely in the next 5 years. It's unlikely in the next 25 years too.

I believe silver will hit $50 in the next 25 years though and possibly a bit higher like maybe $60 or $70. $100 silver? Yeah it will happen but I doubt I'll be alive (I'm 52). I'd bet it's 40 years or so away.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Say you have two $20 bills.

You spend one on an ounce of silver.

You put the $20 bill and the ounce of silver in a drawer.

In ten years when silver is $100 per ounce, you open the drawer and take out the $20 bill and the ounce of silver.

What do you have?

What a good analogy
Pillar of the Community
United States
4170 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TPTB will never allow $100 silver.

I had three $20 bills in 1980. I put one in the drawer, and the other two I used to purchase an ounce of silver.
In 1990, I had a $20 bill in my drawer. My oz. of silver I sold at spot for $4.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zack6736 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to put a slightly different spin on this. You have a government that is printing fiat currency like crazy, a banking system that is producing credit out of thin air to loan out, and you have folks like us stackers buying and setting back PMs. In ten years, you have trillions more paper in circulation that is backed by nothing more than faith in a corrupt government run by those driven to line their own pockets, and a banking system run by basically the same kind of people in the government except they are using credit to fleece the common people into a life of slavery to serve their debt. I would bet that ounce of silver will buy more than that $20 bill or $20 credit it took to buy 10 years prior. Do I sound cynical? Yes I am. The people have put their faith in officials who have let us down. Yes, I go to work and collect my pay, pay my bills then use the rest to put into silver. One day their juggling act will fail and throughout history silver has been the 'go to' metal for currency. I believe it will be again. How long will that be? Who knows, who cares. Best to be prepared. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got investments all across the board. I've got several rental properties that are paid for, Vanguard investments, and about 35k worth of PM investments.

Almost all of my Silver that I own, I bought between 16-20 bucks per ounce. My number to dump would be $40 at a minimum, hopefully I would have the discipline/knowledge to know whether to ride it to 50 an ounce or know to dump at 40 per ounce because signs pointed one way or the other. Silver could run to 60-70 in the next decade, I see absolutely no reason that it couldn't happen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And remember Zack, when you go to work they tax you.

The same people that print money out of thin air think they are entitled to their fair share of your income / labor too.

Free range slavery.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In January 1980, silver hit $107.53 so it has already been to $100. That was when the Hunt brothers thought they had enough cash to force the price of silver to skyrocket all by themselves. It worked for a while but by February 1993 the spot had fallen all the way to $5.93. If some greedy multi-billionaire decided to try that again, silver would zoom past $100 but I just don't see that happening in my lifetime.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4170 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In January 1980, silver hit $107.53 so it has already been to $100. That was when the Hunt brothers thought they had enough cash to force the price of silver to skyrocket all by themselves. It worked for a while but by February 1993 the spot had fallen all the way to $5.93. If some greedy multi-billionaire decided to try that again, silver would zoom past $100 but I just don't see that happening in my lifetime.
I remember 1980 well, I graduated high school that year. I also remember silver did not break $50.

$49.45 January 1980 peak price.

https://www.silverinstitute.org/sit...y/1979-1980/
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
09/18/2016 12:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4764 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver just gets produced as a byproduct of so many other mining operations and is just sold for what ever spot price, just hard for silver to sky rocket to 100 unless some new medical use or some other demand causes many shortage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mistake! I was looking at http://www.macrotrends.net/1470/his...0-year-chart which by default is INFLATION ADJUSTED. You can turn the adjustment off to get prices in dollars at the time.
Edited by clairhardesty
09/18/2016 12:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other end of the spectrum, silver was at $0.28 for all of 1932.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 15,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05