Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Remove Ink/ Writings From Dansco Pages?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a used dansco that has some writing in it, it really bugs me. How do I remove it without ruining the page?
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly do not know and I would be afraid to try.

I am not sure how resilient the plastic coat is. Best case the ink wipes off, worst case you eat down to the cardboard.

I hope someone has some advice based on experience. I have passed up on a good deal for a used album because of writing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried an eraser, but it doesn't do the job well.
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eraser, no. But sadly it doesn't work on pen ink.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10569 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not yet familiar with the albums but the safest thing I've used to remove ink on items is high percentage denatured alcohol. If there is enough gloss under it, that may work but maybe only partially depending on the type of ink and may leave a noticeable spot.

Otherwise, I think it's there for good. Hope this helps.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeysanders627 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that acetone can remove ink left by a permanent marker. That is probably the best route. I wouldn't use pure acetone. I would get nail polish remover.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If in doubt, try Glue-Be-Gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1609 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what a dansco page is. Is it laminated? Is it sharpie / permanent marker on the page? If so, try scribbling a little dry erase overtop, then a dry eraser. It gets sharpie off of whiteboards, so if something is the same texture as a white board, try it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is a pretty strong solvent that will get rid of sharpie right away. Pure ethanol is more gentle but still takes away sharpie. I would try that first.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vermillion Flycatche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd try the dry erase marker first, ethanol second (plain vodka might work if you have it), and then acetone. There is also the Magic Eraser products that supposedly remove markers from surfaces-don't know what solvent they use.

If your first attempt doesn't work you might keep experimenting and just order a replacement page from Dansco.

Let us know what works!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try scrubbing more with an eraser, I don't want to buy something, use it one and have it collecting dust. By the way, it is pen ink.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10569 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally forgot about it but Vermillion mentioned the Magic Eraser that I've read can do some amazing things.

However, I only used it trying to remove pen ink from leather and no luck. It just removed the leather dye.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try some hair spray. The aerosol kind in a can. Spray some on a paper towel and wipe.

Or lighter fluid but that is stronger and may damage the page if heavily applied.

Magic eraser is another option to try. Good suggestion Vermillion!
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting ideas. I suggest you proceed with caution. Test first.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05