Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Several War Savings Bonds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2281 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2017  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After losing my Father in 2006 and mother in 2014, I am still finding surprises going through their stuff. This evening I found a small folder hidden in the attic. In it were several of these.

They have my fathers name on them. Not sure what they are worth today, but thought it was a pretty cool find.
Edited by MontCollector
01/29/2017 11:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2299 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere that series E bonds were issued only in registered, physical form and are not transferable.

Cool find and keepsake. Sorry to hear about your parents
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It written on the face of the bond.

They can be redeemed by the heirs of the registered holder. Redemption value for a $25.00 is about $100.00. This exceeds the collector value for most small size $25.00 bonds. There are some varieties or issuing agents that can affect the collector value of a bond.

The one in the OP is a reissue. The original bond was purchased in February 1942 probably as a Defense Bond. For some reason, a change was requested in 1945, the original was surrendered and this one issued in its place. This was usually to change a beneficiary. Or the original was lost and this one replaced it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
576 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through the same scenario several years back. As executor I had to show the death certificate and then was allowed to cash them in.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17556 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a cash in would be preferable, money wise. It depends on how attached you are to them because of the family ties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Treasury Department has an online calculator that allows a person to determine what the redemption value for paper savings bonds. https://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice

They also provide a Redemption table https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indi...ontables.htm

If you do decide to cash them in at a bank you might be able to keep the bond as it is an obsolete series.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cashed a few war bonds as well as some other early 1950s savings bonds for a customer several months ago. It was pretty neat seeing 70+ year old bonds like this.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You do not get to keep them if they are redeemed. The redemption agent keeps them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2281 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2017  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will cash a couple and keep one. Then send the rest to my sister.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is actually possible to keep them and also redeem them. If they are reported to the Treasury as lost, they can be redeemed without surrendering the physical certificates. There is a form that needs to be filled out, its somewhere on the treasury website.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05