Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1877-S Trade Dollar On Ebay Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I recently started looking at coins again after a brief hiatus because of school. Looking for a Trade dollar towards my type set and found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1877-S-T-1-...AOSwmtJXYcdV

To me it looks like origninal surfaces, XF40ish but I wanted some more opinions. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jolteon1698 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one coin ( Trade dollars in general) I'd never buy uncertified. I'd be too scared
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9235 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine, VF35 and overpriced from the opening bid. I would not pay $175 for that coin without certification.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo is out of focus. You have to pay return shipping. Save yourself a headache and buy a graded coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos are poor. There are only 3 fingers visible on obverse. The coin looks nice, but can not even confirm type 2 obverse and reverse because of poor photo quality. Pass
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8308 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice upper VF example of the most common Trade dollar. I don't see any thing that sets off any alarm bells to ringing...
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine, mid/upper VF, and original. The bid price is right if you want to buy it. I don't think you can go wrong with this coin, unless there are scratches/digs/graffiti that are hidden by the pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Save yourself a headache and buy a graded coin.

That only protects you from fakes, but not cleanings, light scratches, etc. IMO, this coin is genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me
Learn More...
United States
79391 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That only protects you from fakes, but not cleanings, light scratches, etc. IMO, this coin is genuine.
For what it is worth, everyone, I trust his judgement.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin looks nice, but can not even confirm type 2 obverse and reverse because of poor photo quality.

Are you sure you're looking in the right places? The obverse and reverse are obviously type II. The ends on the ribbon are pointed downward, and the arrow is over the 2.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am looking at all the right places. On the first obverse photo that is out focus the top forth finger is not visible at all. On the second obverse photo there is a white dot that represents the top forth finger. There is no way from the quality of photos available that anyone can confirm that this coin is genuine or problem free.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2017  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up not going for it, as I remembered I don't have that much money lol. I went to the FUN show when it was in ft.lauderdale and bought a nice capped bust quarter for my type set instead.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42868 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2017  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the right decision.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2017  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, I am looking at all the right places. On the first obverse photo that is out focus the top forth finger is not visible at all. On the second obverse photo there is a white dot that represents the top forth finger. There is no way from the quality of photos available that anyone can confirm that this coin is genuine or problem free.

I don't know about you, but I see the fourth finger just fine.

And the ribbon ends.

And the arrow over the 2.

Contrary to popular belief, not all raw Trade dollars on eBay are fakes. Just ask Jbuck.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05