Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Good Pics With Sky Light Only?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member

Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  06:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is my cheap setup about $120 cost at all
Only USB 8MP camera and 4x plan-achromat microscope objective on stand.
No helicoid, no other lights.
I shot from 1 feet from coin and near window (cloudy sky without sun)
I put just one A3 paper sheet between window glass and coins

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1597 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justwalking that lens and camera takes incredible photos. you know how to use this camera very well. Justwalking just wondering is your microscope objective lomo 4X. great photos.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rocky. It is cheap Chinese noname finite 4x plan objective still available about $25 for new one. I'm curiouse to try 10X to see how big can be working distance without
bellows.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1597 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justwalking yes I would like to see that as well great photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3109 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the "3D" look of the Nickel image. I wonder if it's the lighting that gives it that look?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rmpsrpms... all 3 coins were shot in 10 min with same light from window.
To achieve effect of half dark/half light on last coin I move it far and close to white paper sheet. No other tricks was used.
Probably we can see reflection of that paper on the right side of the coin.
Edited by Justwalking
02/08/2017 7:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3109 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it's just the low incident angle of the light. I've taken coin pics from low angles and it does seem to emphasize the 3D nature of the coin features.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2017  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's look like still enough daylight and paper sheet for more magnification
From 2 inches without stacking.
Here is full frame resized to 1:2.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3109 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2017  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice! Looks similar to the quality achievable using a Tominon 35mm at around f8. The mag looks like ~4:1, so you may be in the f40 effective range. Can you share a 100% crop of the sharpest area of the image? It looks like you critically-focused on the rim, but you might try a similar shot critically-focusing on the top of the D. This appears to be the mid-point in the topography.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2017  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I did not save initial .bmp, so I can't show 100% crop.
As for magnification it's ~1:1 for my sensor. The tube lenght was about 30 mm instead 200 required for 4:1 for this objective.
Thanks for the tip about topography and focusing.
Edited by Justwalking
02/09/2017 1:25 pm
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2017  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is sunny today, so I can take little more magnification )

Full frame, no stacking, about 2.5:1 and 20mm WD.

And this is 100% crop converted to .jpg

Another one with ~3:1 magnification
Edited by Justwalking
02/11/2017 05:47 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some funny with my setup.
With only this microscope objective through triple glass window and dirty mosquito net.

Working distance is about 150 Meters(!) from the top window on pic and about 10 meters from tree. That's what I call DOF LoL

Edited by Justwalking
02/13/2017 09:30 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And finally with 238857 miles working distance I bet this is a world record for microscope lens

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And finally with 238857 miles working distance I bet this is a world record for microscope lens

With that much working distance, I guess the effective N.A. is really small.

Using a 4X objective (depending on what type) must be like shooting with a 35-50mm lens, stopped down to perhaps f/8 - f/11? I've never tried the moon with anything less than 400mm.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
147 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justwalking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there nothing advantage compared to tele-lens and it's shots looks like monocle-style photo.
It was kidding shots.
I just wondering that microscope finite lens can focus to infinity without any other optics.

As for coins this mean it can focus from any resonable distance with only thin helicoid without bellows to fit any size coin or it's part on small size sensor full frame.
Edited by Justwalking
02/14/2017 03:47 am
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andywoj00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justwalking....I have one of these 8MP USB cameras as well. I want to use it to get close ups on mint marks and dates and other strange stuff on the coins I search. I'm able to get good shots of the mint marks, but not sure what type of objective I'd need to get full shots of the date/mint mark or the "liberty" on a US penny.

How do you get these full coin shots using a microscope objective? I have a Nikon M5 objective and cannot get anywhere close to a full coin shot like you show.

Also, when using this camera, I seem to get alot of pixelation (white dots) on the captured photo. How do I prevent that?

Any advice is appreciated.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05