Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAM Help? Major Die Clashes On 1889 Morgan!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  12:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here she is!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse pic I got from the seller was blurry. I took a flyer on this one for $12.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell with the photos provided, just not enough information. "BUT MY MONEY IS ON VAM-7a"
Edited by twohawks
02/10/2017 12:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it matches. I'll take my own pictures on Wednesday, when it comes in the mail. Any Morgan below spot it worth it to me! Does anyone else have a different opinion?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sending it in to ANACS regardless. I have 2 more free grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russ, the 7A neck clash seems to be positioned slightly more to the left on the chin than the OP coin plus it looks to have another rotated clash much lower (maybe not a clash though) but the OP coin also shows a faint die crack crack at the neck point to star which the 7a with chip at neck point doesn't show. So side no chip this would have to be a slightly eds of 7a before the chip but then the die crack would show on the 7a plate pics with the chip, no? All that with what looks like the wing clash in a slightly different location and a possible other rotated wing clash much lower is making me question 7a. Whatcha think?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it is a bad picture, who knows?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking at the date and the high 9 as well as the location of the wing clashes. The angle at witch the photos are taken will play a part of how the clashing looks a little off. Its been my experience that angle of the photo is to blame. Based on the photos provided I would say with about 99.5% certainty this coin is a VAM-7a.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 7a if not for the minute differances which could be due to the poor pic and angle. Better pics would be nice
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad VAM-7b, that is the early die state! The die stages are out of order due to when they where discovered. The V-7b is the early stage and the V-7a is the late die state.
Edited by twohawks
02/10/2017 3:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you mean it's probably 7b?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah. 7B does seem to fit better. I'm not too familiar with the pairing and didn't go further myself which I should have. The bottom pic on the 7B page does look more like the OP coin
Edited by Cascade
02/10/2017 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How rare is VAM 7B. At least it's worth $12, I know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is 7 in the SSDC census. Which only means 7 have been logged in by SSDC members. Ranging from au53-ms64. Its not a list VAM so there won't be a premium as 99% of premium added vams are list vams. But for $12 any Morgan is worth it. Judging from the pics you could probably flip it for 3x the money on the bay if you wanted
Rest in Peace
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2017  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twodsonegf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM-7B looks right. I think the VAM-7A is a little more interesting, while neither seem to carry much of a premium and neither are too hard to find. Still a nice find, especially in that grade for $12! That is almost hard to believe - wow.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05