Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 150th Anniversary Of Canadian Confederation SD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,306Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6390 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2017  3:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received my "regular edition" 2017 commemorative silver dollars today - the standard "all silver" version in proof and the gold-plated version in the fine silver proof set.

In general, I like the overall appearance of the silver SD - I've always liked coins with allegorical designs - but I still find the "fur cape" a distraction to the overall design. I think the design would have been far more clean and cohesive without the looping/hanging cape!

The gold-plated version of the SD shows better in hand than it does on the RCM web site. I do, however, have issue with what I would term "sloppy plating" by the RCM.

First, the GP is not perfectly aligned on the female allegorical figure on my coin - it extends beyond the design on the lower left of her gown (viewer's perspective) and thus plates part of the field. This also causes the corresponding areas on the right side of the figure's gown to be w/o plating. The issue isn't at the "in your face" level but it is readily apparent upon reasonably close inspection.

Second, and much more noticeable, is the sloppy plating around the fur cape. On the plain silver SD, one can see through the loops of the cape (under the figure's raised arms) to the flags in the background. On the GP version, the areas within the cape loops have been inappropriately plated and thus give the appearance of a "full" cape or shawl vs. the intended "open" loops.

These same issues can be seen on the coin images included on the sales page for the proof set on the RCM web site. I had hoped that the images there were "draft" versions of the coin and that the design would be cleaned up in the actual production sets. This is clearly not the case.

Even with its issues, I doubt I'll return the GP proof set as it doesn't seem likely I will get a "cleaner" coin in another set. The issues aren't so distracting that they become a focal point, but the sloppiness of the Mint's technical execution of the coin is a bit disappointing.

One thing I noticed in comparing the two coins, the standard proof SD uses a mix of finishes which results in some design elements having a brilliant finish vs. the satiny finish typically associated with full proof coins. This is most noticeable on the two large Canadian flags and the mountain range in the background. These areas are fully frosted on the GP version of the proof coin and are mostly brilliant on the regular SD.

All that said, it's nice to be able to add a pair of new SDs to my collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pics!

I saw the GP version yesterday and also noticed the plating was a little 'off'. It's sad really. I look at coins from 15-20 years ago and the quality far exceeds what we see today...I guess that is what they call 'progress'.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm happy with it overall for the sake of another 36mm silver dollar to add to my collection. Except it's worthy of a chuckle to take a close look at the image of the facial expression. It's obviously better not to be closely scrutinized.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Commems for your contribution.

I'm still waiting for my order - which *BTW* was cross-graded "EXTREMELY RARE" by PCGS/ICCS (In other words) I'm not ordering anything from the Mint anymore... unless profoundly moved by thoughts, images or purpose.

That's why I read all your posts.

I do prefer the GP version personally but until I have the coins in hand I cannot say for sure.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05