Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

May 2017 RCM Releases  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  9:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not too many new releases. Continuation of the Canada 150th coloured subscription. The 2nd Confederation Medal is out.

- Two new Star Trek coins seems to be the most high profile releases as they are on the front of the Canada Post brochure. Those 2 coins were listed on Colonial Members Only section in April.

- The most interesting offering is a 3 coin silver set selling for $269.95. Mintage of 5500. This set feature 3 circulation coins that was supposed to be released for the 1927 Diamond Jubilee Confederation Celebration. But the Mint at that time did not release them. Until now. They are reproduction of those 3 coins - 1 cent, 5 cents, and 25 cents.

From the internet (Coin History info):

Quote:
Winners of the 1927 coinage design competition are announced: Gustav Hahn for the 1-cent (semi-circle branch of maple leaves), J.A.H. MacDonald for the 5-cent (crowned British lion on a rock in the sea, a hand holding a maple leaf), J.A.H. MacDonald for the 25-cent (tower structure, four bells hanging from leaves, ribbons, dates on bells). No winner is announced for the 10-cent coin.

http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/new-re...ns-cat410002
Edited by MoneyPenney
04/19/2017 9:35 pm
Valued Member
Canada
361 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a pass on all these.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
630 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

- The most interesting offering is a 3 coin set selling for $269.95. Mintage of 5500. This set feature 3 circulation coins that was supposed to be released for the 1927 Diamond Jubilee Confederation Celebration. But the Mint at that time did not release them. Until now. They are reproduction of those 3 coins - 1 cent, 5 cents, and 25 cents.

That's interesting
Valued Member
Canada
361 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, they are commemorating a coin design they never actually released?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6081 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- The most interesting offering is a 3 coin silver set selling for $269.95. Mintage of 5500. This set feature 3 circulation coins that was supposed to be released for the 1927 Diamond Jubilee Confederation Celebration. But the Mint at that time did not release them. Until now. They are reproduction of those 3 coins - 1 cent, 5 cents, and 25 cents.

This is good idea - raising awareness, appreciation to the artist and the artwork.
This better than comics coins.
The price is high, but the coins looks like in the 1oz or 36mm SD format for this price.

In the past, limited edition 2010 and 2011 sets welcomed well by the collectors.

Thank you for the update, MoneyPenney
Pillar of the Community
Canada
630 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these called pattern coins
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1107 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another pet peeve of mine...why celebrate 90 years for those 3 coins? Why not wait until 2027 for 100 years? They did the same for the Mint's 90 (1998) and then at 100 (2008) it was pretty much a let down. Though I did buy both - it seems redundant now nearly 10 years later. Are we going to get a 110 anniversary of the mint next year?
Valued Member
Canada
440 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine...why celebrate 90 years for those 3 coins? Why not wait until 2027 for 100 years? They did the same for the Mint's 90 (1998) and then at 100 (2008) it was pretty much a let down. Though I did buy both - it seems redundant now nearly 10 years later. Are we going to get a 110 anniversary of the mint next year?

Like they say in the movies: "This is all about cash."

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My rep sent advanced notice for the Star Trek coins.

-5 Captains 2 oz Glow in the Dark $194.95 - 5000 mintage

-The Borg - 1 oz - $112.95 - 10,000 mintage
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1370 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another penny? So much for the farewell.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3647 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RE: the three-piece Confederation Set...

I enjoy seeing potential / alternate coin designs in fully-struck form vs. just sketches or images from a museum's collection. Such pieces have recently become a niche area for collectors as a number of such pieces have been struck and made available.

If such a set were to be struck on silver planchets that matched the intended size of the original coins, I think it would make for an attractive set with a strong tie to Canadian numismatic history. (Though I agree a 100th anniversary would be far more fitting!)

I haven't yet seen the set being discussed, but I already know that $270 is a bit more than I'm likely to spend for a set outside of my core SD collection.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6081 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My thoughts are the same.

I would like, except the "premium set" to have all three as "budget version" of 'coin on card'

Not aware of the similar products of other mints, but RCM have to learn from RAM with their 2009 Goose pattern coin and recent Kangaroo 2 cents pattern coin.

Correction:
2009 Goose pattern coin - this is Perth Mint's ANDA Show special (not RAM)
Edited by Silveroid
04/21/2017 1:46 pm
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simunrfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see our friend C4F has a colourized red 150 SD up on eBay (May releases 7 coin PF set)

Reverse field includes micro engraved maple leaves.

Not sure Mintage but looks like SD collectors busy this year...
Edited by simunrfd
04/21/2017 4:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3633 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncle!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6081 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see our friend C4F has a colourized red 150 SD up on eBay (May releases 7 coin PF set)

Reverse field includes micro engraved maple leaves.

Not sure Mintage but looks like SD collectors busy this year...

Interesting update.

And this not SD as single coin, but the variety of the Silver Proof set, where SD, Twonie and Quarter colorized (GITD?)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
515 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double uncle!!
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05