Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official Post A "Black Beauty" Jefferson Nickel Thread!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 210 / Views: 28,967Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2017  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Idacostya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this 1974 is worthy of the official post, but you never know until you try
I did assume this coin to be a "Black Beauty" at first and now I am having second thoughts. I say that because while the color does appear to be of the actual coin, it almost looks a dirty/greasy like brown rather than the typical gunmetal grey? The reverse does seem to have some discolored deposits of some sort but I am starting to wonder if this is the result of grease on the rollers when the metal stock was formed?/

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2017  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's murder getting a good picture. I found 2 1954 philly dark nickels. Could have sworn I had more. This one is the darker of the two and looks a lot better than this. It has more of a gun metal color than black and is lighter than this image shows. These are in grayscale, not color.
I leave it out of storage and see what the daylight picture will look like tomorrow.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2017  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised. here's my day pictures, but I can't do the image justice. This is a typical circulated borderline "Black Beauty" IMO, but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Obverse with camera, reverse with microscope.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree nickel guy these coins are hard to get a good representative photo of.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6814 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the course of my 366,400 nickels searched CRH journey I have come across only one coin which I considered to be an authentic 'black beauty' ... which for all I have learned occurs on coins dated 1958 and 1959.

1959 Jefferson nickel Black Beauty

This coin retains significant mint luster and the surfaces are more .... hmmm ... purple perhaps in color than I'm able to capture in the photograph. This is not environmental damage causing toning.

That said ... I have found many Blackened Jefferson ... environmental issues causing the dark surfaces rather than mint planchet issues.

I have an entire Dansco 7113 devoted to collecting these Blackened Jefferson ... even shared a thread here at the CCF on the topic.

I'm still pursuing my Blackened Jefferson set during my CRH ... great fun for me as a collector.

If interested in viewing a bunch of Blackened Jefferson ... you can view the old thread here:

http://goccf.com/t/248676

Not trying to dampen any enthusiasm for this thread ... keep the dark Jefferson coming.

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
06/05/2017 7:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsearcher: want me to save all my darkies for ya?

Also, there have been reports of some BB's in 1960, most all seem to be Philly mint (may be wrong there) but I do agree seems mostly 58 & 59 for a true one. Of those listed above, a 1954, and a 1974, I don't really think these are BB's, just some other damage either sintered by heat or ED through being subject to elements (buried). Having held two AU/MS 1958 examples (Spruett's above, and the one now in my collection...wasn't bought off eBay) it is easy to tell the difference between a BB and a darkie.

It would be interesting if we could find out 1) how many planchets are cut out of a sheet and 2) how many sheets had this particular anamoly. That may indicate just how many made it into circulation in those years...of course this is just dreamin'

Edited by Crazyb0
06/05/2017 7:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10573 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how it all worked in 1958 but, I found that nickel stock comes in a sheet stock roll about 13" wide and 1500 ft long.

So, a total of 1625 sq ft. I know that not every square inch is used and the very first several feet of blanks are scrapped as well as the last several feet (can't remember how many).

I found a source about making a nickel floor that said 195 nickels will fit in a square foot (oriented as they are when punched by the mint).

So, to be conservative, 1600x190= 304,000 blanks punched from one roll (currently) that may go on to becoming circulating coins.

I just find it hard to believe than an entire stock roll being "black" went unnoticed. Maybe the stock was spotted with dark areas throughout but, then you would expect to have half-and-half versions.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two coins I found tonight in a box. Is the one on the left a "Black beauty"?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the right looks like one for sure.
My favorite album!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10573 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must have meant on the right and I think it's a winner!
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ding, ding, ding, ding! And we have another winner! A 1958P yet...hummmm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10573 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2017  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I understand what you're after Crazyb0. Every nickel posted that looks to be a true "Black Beauty" is from the Philly mint. The only ones to mention are dave700x's which shows no reverse (thus no MM) and Potbellypub's first post which I have my doubts about (there's some copper color on the obverse that seems out of place).

Even the 1954 that NickelGuy posted looks legit and is also from Philadelphia.

This is one of the reasons for creating this thread. Finding out where these came from is just one step closer to solving the mystery!

@Idacostya

Yours has potential but, the pics are so dark it's hard to tell. Finding one from 1974 would be a game-changer (although still being from the Philly mint). That's the most worthy of further investigation that's been posted.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Pillar of the Community
United States
9215 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2017  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine's a Philly mint. I didn't find a shot of the reverse and the coin is tucked away and therefore not available to photograph at the moment.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potbellypub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check this out spruette it's a 2000 D and the obverse has the attributes to make it a black beauty it has the color the luster and the purple and blues . But...... check out the reverse it's the one on the right. When you mentioned half and half coins a light came on and I remembered having this set aside.

I would guess this was heated by someone or left on the dash of a car in the summer heat for a while not sure. It hasn't been in the ground whatever did this one it's purely one sided .
Edited by Potbellypub
06/10/2017 09:07 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lynnlynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do these qualify? I haven't a clue really. I just like collecting coins. Like
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 210 / Views: 28,967Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05