Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Try With Verdi-Care

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 7,668Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2017  11:53 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had a small bottle of Verdi-Care sitting around for years, so when I came across an awful looking 1865 Three Cent Nickel on eBay I bid and got it for a few dollars to give Verdi-Care a try.

I followed the directions and gave the coin a number of applications.

Here are the "Before and After" photos. Verdi-Care did take off a lot of the encrustations.

Now, do I keep working on the coin hoping to remove all the gunk, or can you only get so far with the product? I'd like to hear the opinions of those who have used it before.

This was a practice run as I have other coins on which I'd like to try Verdi-Care.

Paul Bulgerin
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Paul, from a nasty beginning to that is quite a change. How long did you let it soak, and did you have to work a pick at it?

Quite a change for a dig coin
Edited by Crazyb0
06/07/2017 12:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11374 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  12:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's definitely a major improvement!

Did you use acetone first? If not, I'd give it a bath and maybe use acetone and a q-tip to remove any build-up possible and then give a final Verdi-Care treatment.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  12:42 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I used Acetone and Q-Tips on it as well. The Acetone didn't do much.

I didn't let the Verdi-Care soak on the coin. I put it on a soft cloth and rotated the coin on the cloth as the instructions said. Can you put Verdi-Care right on the coin and let it soak for a bit?
Paul Bulgerin
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of what's in Verdi-Care is xylene if I'm not mistaken. You might try a q-tip w/Verdi-care on those crusty black spots and rub hard, but slow...that'll soak it for ma short period. Don't think acetone will get that crud off, that's a metallic reaction to the natural elements, acetone goes for the organic, not metallic issues. Try a 50/50 Hydrogen peroxide/Vinegar mix, it's slightly acidic, don't soak, do a dab/rub as above, may help break up that corrosive effect.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11374 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  01:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so acetone did what it could.

I've used Verdi-Care with a q-tip and I don't recommend it. Unlike acetone, it seems to break down the cotton tip into an unraveled mess.

Quote:
Can you put Verdi-Care right on the coin and let it soak for a bit?

I believe that is the method described in the instructions for uncirculated coins.

For a coin this size, a couple drops (or maybe even one) of Verdi-Care on a level, horizontal surface will cover the entire coin (maybe worked along by a toothpick) and you can let it sit for a while. However, I've not seen an improvement in results doing this over the method you already described.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
06/07/2017 01:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PM badthad he makes the stuff if I remember right.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5535 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put one drop of Verdi-Care on the coin and spread it around with a tooth pick and leave over night. It works for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5151 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be under a misunderstanding.
I've always thought that Verdi-Care was strictly for copper coins (verdigris).
But of course most (all?) US non-copper coins are alloyed with a certain amount of copper.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent improvement. As has been recommended, you won't lose anything by an overnight bath. Maybe you can get rid of those reverse corrosion spots.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2017  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I let the Verdi-Care soak on the coin for a bit and the results were very satisfying. Here is the coin as it looks now.

Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow,what an improvment! Nice. I wonder if any of the top 3 TPGers can tell it was "cleaned"
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18130 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pictures give lie to those who say:
"Don't clean coins".

Generally speaking they are right, but we need lots of circumspection to decide differently, and thus yield a better result.

Of the 4,500 coins in my collection, I have cleaned only two of them.

I wonder how Verdi-Care would go on carefully selected ancient bronze coins?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that there is a difference between cleaning and conserving. To me this is more of a conservation than a cleaning.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14869 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul , That's an incredible difference . Three thumbs up
for Badthad founder and producer of Verdi-Care .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2017  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! What a difference!

Excellent job...excellent product!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 7,668Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05