Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do About Dark Buffalo Nickels ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11988 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  08:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a bunch of very dark Buffs , does anyone know a sure way of removing this without damaging the coin or making it look cleaned ?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4304 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you are talking about toning rather than crud.
In that case the surfaces have been chemically altered somehow, probably naturally by environmental conditions.

Can you remove the dark toning?
Of course.

Will that damage the coin?
Yes, it will alter the naturally toned surfaces which means removal of the surface of the coin.

Will it look cleaned?
That depends upon the eye of the beholder (and their expertise).
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16069 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do Buffalo nickels in particular, more than any other nickel type, have a tendency to darken so much?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11988 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_691 , Very good question for which I have no answer for .
kanga , I really wouldn't call it toning nor is it crud . It's pretty much environmental .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5737 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Bury the Nickel" was all the rage with the kids in the early 40s. Had to do something when mom took away the radio!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11153 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a bunch of very dark Buffs ,

Can you post some pics ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11988 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry , unable to post picks . I've seen shield and V-Nickels with the same dark problem . For some reason Jefferson's seem to be immune to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42669 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Jeffersons just aren't old enough for the most part? I unearthed a number of dark ones while metal detecting over the years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy the dark Buffs. If you need some help, look at this coin to remind you what happens when coins are dipped and cleaned.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do Buffalo nickels in particular, more than any other nickel type, have a tendency to darken so much?

I've seen an awful lot of dark (circulated) Shield nickels, and a fair number of V nickels as well.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a nickel thing, not a Buffalo nickel thing. And my nickel, I mean cupro-nickel, because I have seen clad coins fitting the same description.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05