Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Save Or Not The, Modern Clads Or LMC, S

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2017  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have saved a lot of LMC, ATB and State Quarters and SBA and Ikes etc. Circulated mostly, except for bank unc rolls of Washington gold $$ and Wa State $.25,s and a lot of nice coins from circulation

I have rolls of `S` mint LMC about the only rolls and the bank rolls for BU coins.

I wonder if they are worth keeping?

What do You think? I am the guy who wants the older coins that are made with a value in silver, gold and not clad or zinc.

I thought of cashing them in. I haven't checked for errors etc. I cant see that good anyway to check for errors.

Thanks Gary
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2017  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gary
just went through that myself. I have all my clad collections but have dumped the rest. Unless they are in MS67 or better I was finding they had little upward mobility to speak, would be going anywhere, just TOO many out there and TOO high grades, population ya know. LMC's, including S mints don't seem to be a big hit unless BU copper, been trying to sell sets of BU's on eBay, slow going. Find people selling sets of rolls at auctions, just a lot out there. I got rid of all my small dollars, no real interest, wasn't a popular collector series anyway. State Quarters...? wasn't in to them, got a nice BU set that's it. Only thing I couldn't part with is those silly Ikes (JBuck!). Kinda like those cartwheels, never see them anymore. I don't think it's gonna be worth it unless you're high end.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12063 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all I don't bother with state or park Quarters .
Not into small Dollars or anything modern except Lincolns . I've been socking away OBW and BU roll sets of Lincolns starting 1954-P,D,S to 2017-P,D . I will keep this up as long as they continue producing the U.S. Lincoln Cent .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it has a significant error, even in "gem" uncirculated, all of the items you mention, with the exception of the Ike dollars, are going to do you more good cashing them in, rather than carrying them around.

Find out the face value. Take them to a coin show. Offer them for 5%-10% over face to someone who wants to dig through them looking for a prize. That might make both of you happy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.

It will reduce the weight of the 10K+ of clad and zincolns. Only the copper and BU rolls to save.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Find out the face value. Take them to a coin show. Offer them for 5%-10% over face to someone who wants to dig through them looking for a prize. That might make both of you happy.
Not a bad idea. You might be able to find someone who will give you a (small) premium for them, but make sure that your effort does erode it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2017  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cashed in most of my modern clads.
Still have some albums going but I got rid of A LOT.
Took it to the credit union coin star one Saturday afternoon after sorting for a couple of weeks.
It was over $300.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18747 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always reminds me of when myself and a friend had a race to see how many of those Bicentennial Quarters we could accumulate. He ended up beating me with many thousands of them. We both went to coin shows to see if anyone wanted to buy them. One dealer actually said yes but for $0.24 each. We both ended up dumpting them all in the bank.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, Modern clad (1965 and newer in most cases) is like baseball cards from the mid-80's and newer. Aside from a few oddities, they'll never be worth anything more than face. I recently picked up a full set of BU (MS+) State Quarters, in albums, for $25.25. That's $0.25 over face for the 100 quarters, so I got the albums for $0.25. I wonder how long it took the person to put the set together, only to loose money on it.

Even Ike's. I got 31 Ikes for $30. I don't collect Ikes, but a free dollar is a free dollar.

So, no.... modern clad isn't worth keeping. Only errors, and fad coins are good for flipping.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2017  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even Ike's. I got 31 Ikes for $30. I don't collect Ikes, but a free dollar is a free dollar.
You should collect Ikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dumped the clad and Shield cents and nickels from 64 and newer. I saved most of the LMC 1990 back except the bu nice ones.
I did save the Ikes and the special minted LMC and the Nickels.

I like my CU as they will not charge me to run them through the counter so it saves the premium a the store for their counter and I don't have to roll them.

$350 to spend now.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13982 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Always reminds me of when myself and a friend had a race to see how many of those Bicentennial Quarters we could accumulate. He ended up beating me with many thousands of them. We both went to coin shows to see if anyone wanted to buy them. One dealer actually said yes but for $0.24 each. We both ended up dumping them all in the bank.

Hmm, I've still got a bunch of those. Maybe I should release them into the wild. Is there really exactly zero premium on them? What about the Bicentennial Half Dollars too?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't keep anything that can't be slabbed. Silver an exception of course.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05