Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Way To Open Bank Rolls?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought it would be worthwhile starting a thread about opening bank rolls. I've seen them unrolled, cut open, ripped open, etc. Let's share our favorite techniques. I carefully clip one of the rolled ends with scissors. Then, I carefully slice toward the other end trying not to touch the edges of the coins. I'm sure there's more than one way to skin a roll!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1669 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For paper rolls, I use snub-nosed pliers and pull off each end in one stroke each. So two rings of paper are removed. Then the remaining paper middle around the coins unfurls easily. For plastic rolls, I don't have a good method but bending each roll and then squeezing to extrude the coins. I check all end-rollers first, just to make sure I don't damage a good coin!
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex12780 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best way I've found is to just rip it open. If a roll is being difficult then I put a small slice on an end and that usually does the trick.

If a roll is being too tough however... you could always slide it into a shotgun shell and shoot it. Kinda damages the coins though....
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I experimented with the kitchen garbage disposal. But, it kinda damages the coins too! #128518;
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just slam the against the edge of the counter.

I kid, I kid.

Peel and eat search.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the trick for me is keeping the wrapper salvageable. I generally reuse the wrappers and tape them once I reload the coins. If I pluck any coins out, I add coins from a bag of filler coins of the same denomination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C-4

WfxKtroY-6M
Edited by TypeCoin971793
07/21/2017 9:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12070 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to open mine from the middle of the roll unwrapping it on a clean soft surface .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
get a staple remover and pinch both ends off and just unroll the coins out
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10430 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check the enders, completely uncrimp both ends, unroll the whole thing and slide the horizontal coin "stack" onto the work surface.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2017  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No wonder it takes you guys days to search a box. I got mine, a box of nickels, at 4:30 pm today, done by 7_pm in time for Tucker. Just give my old stockman a few swipes on the diamond board, take those brinks-wrap (plastic) give 'em a nice end to end slit(lightly scored) then crack it. Go through and set aside second lookers by dates and any special picks, voila'!

This box was a skunk, 1-2009d which got set free along w/4 more, 3 beat to death 2017d, first I've seen(no pee's) about 5 common date 40's& 50's, a potful of 57-64d's, not one RPM. No runs, no hits only one error, 1998 5c Bahamas in black and white
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2017  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small screwdriver picking the crimp apart. push the coins out from the other side. Goes very quick... Can still use the tube if I need too...
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a mini eye glasses screw driver to open the ends. Works perfectly.
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2017  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually take a cold chisel and a two pound sledge hammer. Sometimes on more difficult rolls I go for the full size sledge. There usually a couple of undamaged coins left to search. Just joking. I unroll the crimping on the end and save the paper intact.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unrolling seems to be the way to go over slicing the wrapper. I'm going to give it a shot!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05