Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cataloging Silver & Gold Bullion Purchases

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  2:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverTracker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious how many of my CCF family actually catalogs your gold & silver bullion collection/stash?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16118 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put ALL of my coins in 2x2's, and write the purchasing details of cost and date acquired on the the 2x2.
ASW, AGW etc also included if a bullion coin.

Can't do that with slabs.
For dollar sized coins, large (2 1/2" x 2 1/2")'s are available.

Each item has it's own record.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3811 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Most of the coins I catalog are my dirtfishing finds, which amount to hundreds of silvers, Indian heads, 2-cent pieces, and many late 1800's coins. Date and location found, 2x2's in plastic sleeves in a 3-ring binder, many pages at times dedicated to a single location, for instance a county park.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
07/26/2017 05:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel spreadsheet works good for me.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I meticulously catalog my entire collection. Not that it is a huge collection or anything, but it helps me to track them so I don't buy the same thing twice on accident. I use excel.

In addition to preventing accidental purchases, it serves two other purposes:

1. I don't keep the majority of my stash at home, so it helps me always remember what I have versus what I need. Since I have 30+ open series, an excel spreadsheet helps. Usually only my very recently purchased or my current items for sale are the only things I can physically touch at a given time.

2. Also, in a weird way, looking at my excel database of my coin collection is just as satisfying to me as looking at the actual coins. I get my collecting fix even though I am not often handling the coins themselves.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. Also, in a weird way, looking at my excel database of my coin collection is just as satisfying to me as looking at the actual coins. I get my collecting fix even though I am not often handling the coins themselves.

Haha...and I thought I was the only one!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2445 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cataloguing is half the fun for me ^^

I too write details on the 2x2 including price paid (this is really gonna create work if I ever come to sell as everything will need to have these prices covered up)

My Excel gives the location of each coin within my collection, face value, description, date, weight, size, mintage, condition, where I purchased, when I purchased, how much I paid, current value (date of amendment) misc notes.

I don't have a huge amount of bullion but this system is applied to every item I own... if my house ever burns to the ground the insurance company will have the most accurate claim ever.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I catalog my "top 100" ounces of world semi-numismatic silver in my album in an Excel spreadsheet, but for gold and platinum I keep no physical record of how many ounces I have, or which coins they are.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverTracker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is excellent idea's. Thanks everyone.
Valued Member
Ireland
82 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2taol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I have just started cataloging
I have created my own "data card" to
insert into a grip seal bag with the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is something I wanted to accomplish this year.
I have just been using hand written notes in a small note book I carry.
So I have been working on photographs of my safety deposit boxes contents
and once I get everything inventoried I will also probably use a spread sheet of some kind.
My collection is a real unorganized mess but it is at least a work in progress now.
I am taking some pointers from my friend crazyglue.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am a stacker more than a collector, my spreadsheet has all the particulars about the date, weight, purity, value, etc., but not the price at purchase.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:

Haha...and I thought I was the only one!

Too funny. I get my fix from browsing the collection database as well. However, it is not as satisfying as examining the actual collection. It's just a heck of a lot easier to access and peruse than the actual collection.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05