Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you think I'll get?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  11:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at large cents on eBay, and came across a picture of a LC that didn't match the title. Coin was listed as a straight date, nothing special coin, by a dealer. But the coin in the photos was of an overdate 1807/6, which even in a basal 1 is about 3x what I paid for the coin.

The guy/dealer has good feedback. Do you think I'll get the 1807/6, an 1805, or a message saying there was an error in the listing, and he wants to cancel?

To add - I bought more than one coin from him.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3186 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  12:17 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May have put wrong pic in ad, but think it should go by the description in the sale. If it says 1805 and he sends the overrated one,then you have an ethical choice...keep it, was his mistake or contact seller and go from there. My choice would be the latter. Not only is it honest, that makes great rapport for future sales and direct offers to you. Who knows, seller may say forget it you keep it, but had done the right thing!
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
5588 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  12:57 am  Show Profile   Check TheNickelGuy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw your 1805 listing and found a similar coin to what you saw in that listing. It sold for twice as much and it was slabbed. See 372038136851
If you're hoping for the 7 over 6, I probably would mention this to the seller that I would like the coin shown in the listing for the price you paid if that's what you're hoping for.
You may not get an 1805, you might get this 7 over 6, but if you do get an 1805, hopefully it looks even better.
I would ask for an image of it before he sends the 1805.
You are not obligated to take the 1805 as long as you have a discussion before the coin ships.

Part of the eBay game is cherry picking, and it is also part of the hobby in my opinion.
I've been picked over, I've found some prizes. There's no rule that you have to tell a dealer that you found a $20.00 coin in the $1.00 junk box. He put it there. You did the work to find it.
Sometimes your knowledge is an advantage and you earned that by taking the time to study coins.
This one, well, it's in the gray area. If you get the coin and keep it and feel guilty. Not shame but guilt, then it will never set right in your collection.
To thine own self be true, do what you feel is right.
signature:

Sign Here x ___________________________
Edited by TheNickelGuy
08/10/2017 12:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact the seller and voice your question. Be honest, most, and I mean a huge majority, of dealers are the epitome of honest.

If it's been shipped, wait until the package arrives.

Anticipation of possible problems does no one any good.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12825 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would help to be able to see the auction listing. S-273 7/6 is a very common coin and not worth much if any premium (S-272 7/6 is another matter) I would find it hard believe it to be worth a 3X premium.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You probably won't get the coin pictured.
Pillar of the Community
United States
742 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'll get the coin described, not the coin displayed.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would help to be able to see the auction listing. S-273 7/6 is a very common coin and not worth much if any premium (S-272 7/6 is another matter) I would find it hard believe it to be worth a 3X premium.

For the 1805 I paid $33, my guess on the 07/6 is around $90-100, so about 3x, give or take.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6086 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  08:06 am  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not have that kind of premium in the pictured grade. Where did you get that info?
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It does not have that kind of premium in the pictured grade. Where did you get that info?

I grade it at about an AG-03 (I think the reverse is closer to a G-4). Numismedia has a G4 at $144, PCGS has a AG03 at $109, and NCG has PR at $90 (G at $165 (too high)). These are the only resources I have available to me, other than sold eBay. So even at $75, it's worth 2x what I paid, and possibly more.

I'm very open to getting a better grasp on values, so if you can help, it would be appreciated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05