Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown ancient coin #1 - caduceus counterstamp  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
2168 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  09:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On Wednesday, August 9, I bought 18 assorted ancient coins (plus one medieval coin), for assorted low prices that averaged out to approximately $2 per coin.
Most of the coins were very worn, and I was unable to immediately identify them (neither was the seller, thus the low price).

I was able to take photos of most of those coins, and will try to post them in this forum for identification (and/or attribution, in cases where I know what approximately it is).

In this case, the most important feature of the coin is probably the caduceus counterstamp (I think it's a caduceus, anyway - too worn to reliably count the snakes).

Note: those are flash photos, which might somewhat diminish their quality.
(I'll try to make non-flash pics later, but I'm not sure I could do decent ones.)

Best I can tell, 12 mm, ~1.6 grams (a ruler isn't a good way to measure weight, but it does somewhat help with diameter).
...And yes, that means the counterstamp is all of four millimeters by two. I won't be surprised if, back when this was in use, the number of snakes wasn't very well visible either.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
588 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going on its size & weight I would lean towards Greece.
A total stab in the dark from the images, possibly a Tyche & Galley type
No science involved but that is what first came to mind.
Learn More...
United States
20153 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Daimon is on the right track. The obverse does look like Tyche.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05