Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die crack in 1950 Lincoln: good, bad, neutral?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pardon the iPhone photo, but I think you can see the substantial die crack that runs from the edge through the T. This is a 1950, PCGS MS65RD. Just got this, and found the die crack interesting. For me, it makes the coin a bit more appealing, but in general terms, I'm interested in your opinion on the topic question. Is this a "better" coin with the crack, or is it just that much less perfect? Let me emphasize that I am no expert, and I may even be wrong in analyzing this as a die crack. Under magnification and good light, it seems fairly clearly evident that the crack/line goes *under* the lower and upper bar of the "F," which I found all the more interesting. The interaction with the wheat stem is harder to analyze. (Thanks for any opinions; I did do a search without success. If I missed something, I apologize.)

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19516 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "nice" die crack.It makes it more appealing to those who collect die cracks and less so for non die crack collectors.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some collectors that want the coin as perfect as possible. Those collectors might find this die crack to be a distraction.

There are also those who love the die chips and cracks and consider it of interest.

I doubt this crack would be considered of advantage or disadvantage as far as the value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1588 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. I have a dedicated collection just for die cracks.
Completed my Dansco ASE 7181 on 8/6/2017. 32 of 32
Every coin spot free! Tougher to find water spot free Eagles than I thought!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15313 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
2767 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it makes the coin more interesting, so it's good. I recently purchased a couple of slabbed coins specifically because of the die cracks.

Some collectors dig it, others don't.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is too bad there is no way to track different dies and die states as dies are not individually identified. Would add a cool element to coin collecting though. Die cracks have quite a following, so I would say good.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, gang. That's a bunch of interesting answers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2014 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice die crack, they are use as markers to classified rpm's , DDO's ,ddr's etc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3011 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCentsLady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Die Cracks and I haven't seen one in that location yet I think it is a good one and uruman brings up a good point as far as die markers on varieties.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. It depends if the person likes collecting Die Cracks or not. If they don't, then they will find it as unappealing.
Errors And Varietys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05