Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 P Nickel Downstroke of 9 Missing  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jude T Lasserre to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
This is a fair coin, part of the nine is missing or not readily visable. Any suggestions or comments.
Tks

Poll Choices
  Coin in good shape
  Did the die have an obstruction in the digit nine

Anonymous Vote
Pillar of the Community
United States
7924 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd tend toward grease in the die which prevented the 9 to be fully struck over die polishing that removed that area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of being struck through grease in that area, now it says "1081 instead of 1981. You should keep this as a greaser example.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3186 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When dies are polished, some of the diamond paste compound used gets into details of the die. They become hardened and clog the detail from imprinting the coin. This is called "Struck through grease". This is not a specific error but is part of the minting process, is normal operations.
"I paused to think, then I forgot to start back up" Bumper Sticker
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the top pic it looks to me to be a after mint strike that removed the lower part of the nine. PMD.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24560 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the PSD issue. You can almost still see where the tail of the was at one time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05