Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Nickel Maybe A Strike Through

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm on the fence with this coin. There doesn't seem to be any lifted material like PMD would show,But the edge shows some squishing. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pop-out on the reverse would convince me against mint error.
I say PMD.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be postmint; a strikethrough wouldn't affect the strike of the reverse. The lump at the top right of Monticello, and the flattening at the M of UNUM, would require physical changes in the reverse die to be possible, and any strikethrough capable of doing that would simply destroy the planchet between them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do appreciate it. The main problem I'm having is this. I worked in a machine shop for a few years and we stamped steel(big difference I know),But every once in awhile the oil we used made some of the left over material stick to the press and it did stamp that shape onto the piece being stamped. Most of the time there was a bulge on the other side of the piece being stamped. So just throwing that out there to see if any of it sticks to the wall!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like somebody with a .177 cal BB gun is a pretty good shot!
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wildhare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Mark1959
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never thought about that,But is very plausible!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2017  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any indent/bulge combination would be PMD by its very nature. Nickels are struck between two hardened tool steel dies with 50 tons of pressure, it is physically impossible to produce a face bulge during striking. It is also worth noting that the rim on your coin is deformed next to the date, another obvious sign of PMD.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05