Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

does this 1900 "O" Morgan Liberty silver dollar look weird to anybody?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  12:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
bumbling around eBay, I came across this 1900 "O" Morgan Liberty silver dollar. seems funny to me, but maybe it is not weird at all, I am depending on the more experienced members here for an opinion on:

1. the first "0" in the year (1900) seems to be out of shape in the 3 o'clock (1500 hrs for you warhorses) position?

2. on the obverse... colorized? back in 1900? huh? well, here it is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900s-U-S-M...AMXQeW5TYodw

the black background does not bother me, because proofs or highly polished backgrounds can change instantly from black to silver color depending on how the coin is held. I know, because I bought a coin which had a black background in the listing picture, but when I got it is was a silver background. I just moved the coin around a little and it turned black again through the camera lens. but I noticed this effect so far on highly polished or proof quality coins... this one should not be so polished for this effect? painted black then? especially if the obverse was possibly painted as well?

here is a similar 1900 "0" mint coin for comparison....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900-O-MORG...AOSwH2hZsEMW

in this coin, the "0" in the date appears normal, and the back is not colorized. I don't know about the 65 grade tho, but I admit it is detailed in strike, especially the lettering of her "LIBERTY" headband. not colorized.

any opinions would be appreciated, stuff like this drives me nuts... so what am I getting wrong here?

mike
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2467 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just read the description - It's been enameled and gold plated!! Not a "coin" anymore but a piece of junk - I mean jewelry!
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Started a Dansco Jefferson nickel album #8113 using AU/BU examples 121/202
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1162 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not say that it is junk. I have quite a few enameled coins in my exonumia collection, and the old English ones from the era of Victoria are worth a bit. That being said, I would never pay even close that asking price for one.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks guys, yes, next time I will read the description... for some reason I was only concerned with the pictures, which is being weird with myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of buyers only look at the photos without reading the description, then wonder why they item was foisted on them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking this was in the wrong forum...but it isn't...

This is a rare case in which a Morgan dollar might have a value LESS than melt.

$15 in scrap silver, tops. I'd value it lower than sterling flatware.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
09/13/2017 6:43 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05