Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sometimes you draft the best-available athlete  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
22941 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is a truism in American professional sports that, during the new player draft, when there is no good fit available for your greatest need you draft the best athlete still available and figure out how to fit that person into your team. So it is here. I already own a 1917, cracked from an ICCS MS62 Lustrous Brown flip, and both ends of that designation are fair. It's a nice coin, and I like it a lot.

But this? This, you buy when you see it whether you "need" it or not. Below is depicted as perfectly-preserved - luster aside - a coin as I have ever owned. I agonized for a week until the money became available, praying that no one else would purchase it. I was fortunate.

The lack of luster is insignificant to me. I've always felt that Red copper has somehow "cheated death" or been treated in some way, and I do not trust it in the long term. It's my opinion that MS66 is the floor for this one. Half an hour ago, my trusty friend Mr. Dremel and I freed it from the NGC slab in which it resided, and I doubt you would believe the grade NGC offered it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19759 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a BU-T-FULL coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2467 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an amazing looking Canadian cent!
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Started a Dansco Jefferson nickel album #8113 using AU/BU examples 121/202
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3746 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! The Canadian's actually made them that good?

Have never seen one with that well struck on both sides!

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1049 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64 or an outside shot at 65 by PCGS/NGC. Strike isn't quite full enough for Gem or better. Still a pretty coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2821 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim issues at 2 and 10 on the Reverse that are minute . A typical strike for 1917-18 and not much Glossy "POP" .
Agree with PM a 64 .
Dave .... these come Well Struck and spectacular often enough that a MS65 Red or Red Brown is usually available in the marketplace .
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Pillar of the Community
Canada
939 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd take that over a bright red, beautiful lustrous,brown. Thanks for showing.
Learn More...
United States
45641 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am impressed. That is one beautiful piece of copper!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would wait for something that comes along that is more fully struck or (if fully struck)doesn't show the tiniest bit of wear on the vertical jewels on the crown, the eyebrow,and the shoulder bow on the obverse. The deepest parts of the reverse design (the lobe tips) are either weakly struck or show the tiniest bit of wear. All of the Geo large cents were struck in the multimillions and many are available in the mid-60's grade. I don't think that this '17 will even make 63, most probably lower. It's still a very nice coin .. I'm not being snippy .. only honest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You loved it. You bought it. I love it. Nuff said.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic example!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
7467 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful example!
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
09/13/2017 5:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
22941 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dave .... these come Well Struck and spectacular often enough that a MS65 Red or Red Brown is usually available in the marketplace .

Thank you for the issue-specific information; it's one of the reasons I posted this.

I bought it because in a solid year of looking at every single LC offered on eBay and everywhere else I could find them - including yours, Pacificoin, we're going to do business some day - this is the single nicest example I've found, including some in ICCS MS66 flips. And these LC's do not "show" well in high grade; very few are without distracting spots and variances in shade even (especially) if designated "Red."

It wouldn't be that special to me if they were so easy to find.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1866 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, it does look like a 66 or 67.

However, because of the brown color of the coin and lack of luster, probably at best, an ICCS ms63 brown and a PCGS ms65 brown.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3006 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the prettiest cents that I've seen here. The fields are perfect to me..

If only it had a small splash of red hiding in the nooks and crannies..because you don't need "Red" when they come this pretty..

Thanks for posting it..

Edited by DEVLEC
09/14/2017 5:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
22941 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, for a small lesson in the enormous effect lighting has on the appearance of a coin.

Background: I shoot in RAW, which is a mode that takes essentially the raw uncorrected sensor data from the camera, and bypasses the camera's internal processing completely in favor of doing that processing with the much more powerful home computer. I do my color corrections manually, using another image which doesn't get posted that includes a pure white flat object in the image field. I determine color correction by altering the White Balance until that object is of the same color as it appears to my eyes. The resulting coin image will be as color-correct as possible.

The images above were shot using two Jansjo LED lamps from Ikea, the "weapon of choice" for many coin photographers. They bring out detail very well but are not so good at accurate representation of surface hue and continuity. The new set below was shot with a single GE Reveal full-spectrum incandescent bulb. Both were color corrected using the same procedure. Further, I am very deliberately posting them much smaller than the half-original size of the above pair, to lessen the subjective impact of such large images on observers who aren't experienced with the evaluation of very high-resolution imagery.

Almost looks like a different coin, doesn't it?

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05