Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Herod I (The Great) & Herod Archelaus  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  3:50 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Herod I (The Great) the founder of the Herodian Dynasty. Ruled from 40-4 BCE.

Herod was not a Jew by birth, his family were Idumaeans (Edomites) that came from the southern part of Judaea. The Idumaeans were thought to be Nabataeans that were banished and who joined the Judaeans and assimilated into Judaism.

Herod's father Antipater was Idumaean who was an important adviser in the Hasmonean court. His mother was a Nabataean.

He was a client King of Rome, and was a friend of Marc Anthony and Augustus. He is noted for his great building projects. Most notable is the building of the port city and capital of Judea under Roman rule of Caesarea Maritima.

He is written about in The Book of Matthew in the New Testament as ordering the Slaughter of the Innocents.

AE Prutah (Lepton)
Obverse: No legend, double cornucopia and caduces between dots above.
Reverse: No legend, Crude Anchor.
15mm X 1.5g x 1h
Hendin 1189

Herod Archelaus
4 BCE-6 CE

Archelaus was the eldest son of Herod I and was supposed to take the throne upon Herod's death. However there being no right of assention because Herod was a client king. Approval had to come from Augustus in Rome. This meant that Archelaus had to travel to Rome.

His brother Antipas also wanted the throne so a dispute developed. To settle this dispute they both traveled to Rome to plead their cases-es. Augustus hearing their arguement. Decided to alter Herod's will and to disolve the Judaean monarchy. Nameing Archelaus Ethnarch of Judaea, Samaria, & Idumaea. And Antipas Tetrach of Peraea and Gallilee. He also promised Archelaus if he ruled well he would make him king. He didn't do well and on his 9th years of rule he was exiled to Vienna. And Coponius a Roman Prefect was placed in charge of Judea.

AE Prutah (Lepton)
Obverse: Helmet with Greek legend "Of Ethnarch"
Reverse: Bounch of grapes on a vine. Greek legend "Of Herod"
16mm x 1.29 x 9h
Hendin 1196

Pillar of the Community
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I should've been copy and pasting all of this. You're writing a book, and I'm certainly enjoying it.
Valued Member
New Zealand
145 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coins Ron and awesome history write up too. I've also got a Herod the first coin too.
Learn More...
United States
20030 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Fell free to post your coins.
Valued Member
Spain
342 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins Ronand a super little history lesson for me...

Keep em coming please..

Thanks for sharing saludos Paul
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05