Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help: AR drachm of Khosrau II?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5968 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2017  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If anyone can provide me with a bit more information about this particular coin that would be wonderful. The seller only stated that it was an AR drachm from the reign of Khosrau II (Sasanian.) I don't have it yet so I cannot provide a weight or diameter.

I Googled Khosrau II and learned quite a bit of Persian history in the process, but not much about his coins.

Thanks to anyone who can help me learn a bit more about this coin (knowing which side is which would be a good start!)

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3951 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, Khusro II, the past great Sassanian king before the Muslim takeover a couple decades later. The reverse is pretty beat up; I can't read the date or mintmark. I'be got a few, but only a few pics handy from my current sale:

This one is also too rough to read

This one is from year 10 (600) from the "LAM" mint, Ram-Hormizd

The formula for Sassanian coins is usually pretty simple. Each ruler has a different crown, and his name is written in front if his portrait in Pahlavi. Some coins have honorific titles behind the portrait or outside the edge of the die.

The reverse shows a Zoroastrian fire altar with two attendants guarding/keeping the sacred flame. Coins after Hormizd II show facing attendants wearing baggy pants and holding a staff in front of them. The left legend is the date written in longhand, and the right is the mintmark. You can see it a bit better on this Hormizd IV:

This is probably the most helpful site for dates and mints:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...nian%20mints
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Learn More...
United States
20367 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't add much to what Steve already said. You coin appears to be from the later period of his rule when the empire was becoming wear from continuous warfare. I have several of his from different mints, here is one.

Valued Member
Spain
410 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No expert on these but it could be Shiraz mint.

Shiraz is located in the south of Iran about 800 kilometres south of Tehran.
Learn More...
United States
20367 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is from the Ardashir mint in Khuzastan.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5968 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2017  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding information as usual. I will take photographs once it arrives and attempt to make out more of the details. It was less than $10 so I don't feel too badly about it being a bit worn.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5968 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2017  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin is quite a bit more interesting than the photos allowed.

There is iridescent rainbow toning towards the periphery. Lots of silvery luster, especially near the center. The flan is irregularly shaped.

Weight is 4.3 grams. Diameter is a bit tougher, because it's not perfectly round: at the absolute widest, it is 31mm, and at the minima, 28.1mm.

I took a few different pictures using flash and other lighting, the luster/toning is more readily visible at hand -- flash and lighting tend to wash it out.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05