Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sassanian - Ae 27 - Kavadh I? (2/19)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  2:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lot 2/19

Sassanian Empire
Kavadh I?
AE 28 (Pashiz?)
Obv: Bust of Shah right, ribbons and crescents before and behind, wide-brimmed hat with crescent? No legend.
Rev: Fire altar with highly abstracted attendants facing altar (Peroz/Kavadh style), sun and moon above, single Pahlavi letter left and right?
27mm / 2.73g

Could be an imitation, but seems roughly in line with ~6th century Sassanian artistry.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe this is any kind of official issue.The obverse is slightly similar to Peroz, but the two ring border doesn't appear on his coins.

On the coins of Kavad I, the obverse has the crescent and star on the four sides on the obverse. I don't see that on yours. The double ring border is present on some of his coins.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2017  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Echizento said, any drachms of Kavadh would have the four stars flanking the obv portrait. Also, looking at a catalog of his coins, I cant seem to find any with similar reverse designs.

The portrait seems similar to Hormizd IV, and some of his coins came without the four corner stars. However, I have yet to see the double ring/stars combo this coin has.

I am a bit suspicious of this coin because the portrait of the shah seems to be very blurry and lacking in detail...could be just wear but a cast fantasy piece is possible.
ANA Member #3190016
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input! I'll admit that I don't know Sassanian coins especially well - just where to look to attribute based on crown type and mint mark/year. Isn't there a relatively cheap, comprehensive book on them out there somewhere? Might have to invest if I am going to expand my collection.

Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sasanian Numismatics by Robert Gobl is the book to get. You can find them on Vcoins or eBay for under $20. There are also several old references in PDF form that you can download from the web.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updating for posterity!

This coin is an imitation of Kavadh I, either of local tribal or else Hepthalite origin.

I was able to find two more, at least one of which is a die match:

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=17234

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=155939

Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you were able to find a reference for the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice, interesting coin Steve!

Quote:
I was able to find two more, at least one of which is a die match:

Sorry but I cant see the die match?!...Paul
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05