Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New member + C001 1841 Seated Liberty Dollar  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

2 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  01:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add krazykoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I inherited some coins and will be looking to sell most. I have collected coins in the past so I do know a few things. I am in no hurry to sell. If you guys are nice to me, you can get first look at the treasure. I know there is a minimum number of posts before selling on this site. Let's start with a bang and check out one of the nicer coins I have. What is a fair price for this coin for a person-to-person sale?

NGC site says $2100 but eBay just sold one for $2940. Any thoughts or advice on how to sell this? Coin Pics are from a scanner.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19961 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Check this link for "realistic" values http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grade of the coin, in this case 58, is at least a start for determining value. No two coins are the same. If you check Heritage sold prices you can see that a 1841 Seated dollar, all in the 58 grade, sell for huge differences in price, mostly because of the eye appeal, which isn't listed on the slab.
2 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krazykoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. So I can infer from some of the feedback that coin photography is very important! People are purchasing based upon pictures, so the photos need to capture the coin's "good side". Scanner photos may not be the best method. A slabbed grade is not everything. Now...where to sell this coin?

It seems that for a coin like this, an auction makes sense. eBay, Herritage, or Great Collections? I have sold a few of my coins through eBay and Great Collections. Great Collections has lower fees, but eBay has more people looking. Any thoughts?

It seems based upon the prices and feedback...$1950 for this coin would be a "good" price for me.
Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.

A reminder to everyone else...

Buy/Sell/Trade Rules
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19961 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos make a big difference. Use a camera not a scanner.
Quote:
A slabbed grade is not everything
Buy the coin not the holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
2 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krazykoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like if I pay for an "eBay Store" for about $25/month, I can pay only 6.25% final value fee and cap the commission to $250 per coin. I think my plan is to research the coins, send the better ones into NGC to get graded (if they are not currently), and take good photos in natural light. Then I will do an eBay blitz over a couple of months to sell the coins. I will purchase a macro lens for my DSL camera right away.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When he first posts he says he is in no hurry to sell. Nine hours later he is looking for a way/place to sell it. I guess nine hours is a long enough holding time.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/11/2017 12:42 pm
Learn More...
United States
23076 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS Auction Prices - the most complete record of auction results available in one place - has a total of 51 results for this coin in AU58, not necessarily including eBay since results there can be so far out of whack. To illustrate that problem with eBay, the auction you mentioned brought by far the highest single price ever paid for an 1841 in AU58. Of those 51 results, only 4 hammered over $2000. eBay is where people with no idea of true value go to throw away their money, as that auction proves. It was a well-written auction, which planted the seeds of thought of the coin not being circulated at all. With images which did not establish the fact clearly. From images of that size, not even an expert could clearly determine whether the coin had circulated or not; at the AU58 level you need the coin in-hand to make that determination.

If I were in the market for an AU58 1841, judging from previous sales I would expect to pay under $1500 for it, and would not even glance at one whose asking price exceeded $1700.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Super Dave's price range, but I'd set my hard water mark on this coin at $1350. Those black spots on the reverse are not attractive.
2 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krazykoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great feedback...I will come back in a few weeks when I have proper photos.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a decent coin, but it's dull and splotchy and I'm not crazy about it, especially the reverse. I would value it under $1,500 for sure.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with mox. Eye appeal is the single most important factor when determining value. Especially with slds as most have been doctored at one point or another. Based on the pics your example is ok looking but not great. Probably been worked on lightly as some black stains still remain. The only way to get realistic price discovery is to have an expert view it in hand or put it up for auction with professional pictures.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2919 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great looking coin and much better than most au58s I see.
numismatic_student aka CoinNerd
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
CoinNerd's Type Set: http://coinnerdtypeset.blogspot.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
9399 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great Collections has lower fees, but eBay has more people looking.

Great Collections fees are higher than eBays. They raised their buyers fee to 12.5% so they're still higher even for coins over 1k.

eBay you likely won't like the results with a new sellers account that doesn't usually sell coins listing something like that as an auction.

David Lawrence is another option for auctions.

Your lowest fees would likely be consigning through Gerry Fortin, he only charges 9% at that price level and is a noted seated expert.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05