Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why are certified coins cheaper on eBay than the auction?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  02:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add starnote to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For example, the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar can be found on eBay for under $10,000 but the prices for the same coin are way more at the auction. I know it depends on the grading as well, but I saw a very nice, high grade coin on eBay for $10,000 which I think could have easily sold for a lot more at the auction. It was also certified by PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1222 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has to do with the heat of the moment and with competition. It happens quite often at an auction that some people just keep on bidding on an items because they have to 'win' and thus beat the other. As if the world will always remember that glorious day and as if all people present at the auction will stand up and applaud as if you've just won the Nobel Peace Prize instead of a coin. With eBay, you as a seller will at least have the security that you'll get a certain amount for a coin: it sometimes happens that no one is interested in a coin at an auction and that it sells for less than prognosed, if even the minimum required bid is made. So it's also a risk for a seller: it may go well, and ideally end up with a few competitors, but it may also become a big disappointment. Plus that, depending on the auction house, the costs for selling may be distributed in a different way via eBay and auctions.

I'm not sure if selling and auctioning can really be compared directly as sales methods. But the above gives an impression of why eBay prices are different (not necessarily cheaper) than auction prices.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ItchyN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 grand is a lot of money to risk on eBay. Coins are faked and holders are faked.

OTOH, if you are sure of what you are doing you CAN find a bargain on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  07:40 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no legitimate 1794 dollar selling for $10,000 anywhere. If it is selling at $10K, it is a fake.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2837 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go back and try again . The 1794 Dollar listed is a F15 PCGS from Rarecoinwholesalersca at a mere $157,000.
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Pillar of the Community
United States
9281 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay was my primary place of purchase for raw coins. In general, the BIN prices of most NGC or PCGS on eBay are higher than auction prices realized.

In order of the best results for finding my want list would be: Heritage, Great Collections, Sotheby, shows, eBay
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13008 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew99, Pacificoin, go back and read the OP again. He was talking about a 1794 half dollar, not a dollar. Big difference.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
257 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He was talking about a 1794 half dollar

No, it states "hair" not "half"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2837 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
“ 1794 Dollar “ in the above post just doesn’t get much clearer!
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 basic factors - "Condition" and "Variety"
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Edited by Mark1959
10/11/2017 2:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13008 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right maybe I had better learn to read (and I even went back and double checked the OP before I posted)
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5020 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:30 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
He was talking about a 1794 half dollar

No, it states "hair" not "half"

I think perhaps he WAS talking about half dollars, but unintentionally.

In the last three months there have been no 1794 Flowing Hair Dollars for sale or sold on eBay for anywhere near as low as $10,000.

However, there are and have been 1794 Flowing Hair HALF Dollars on eBay for under $10,000.

Searching for "1794 Flowing Hair Dollar" returns both Dollars and Half Dollars.
Learn More...
United States
23065 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think perhaps he WAS talking about half dollars, but unintentionally

That's the only way the dollar amount mentioned in the OP could be true; there are only two 1794 Dollars currently offered on eBay - both with six-figure prices - and none at all in Completed Auctions. PCGS Auction Prices has four 1794 Dollars which traded hands for under $10,000. One was in 2010 (I can only imagine what it looked like), one in 1995, and two in the 1940's.

If we contemplate Flowing Hair Half Dollars, we might reasonably expect them to reach 4-digit pricing down around F15 or so.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05