Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 Lincoln, PCGS MS64BN, with some spots. Would you buy?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm working on a collection (with a limited budget) of one uncirculated coin for each year of the Lincoln series. I'm down to the 1913, so of course by Murphy's Law, it is proving elusive. Nice ones are quite expensive. This one is on a reliable auction site, and the starting bid is below the PCGS price guide price (for what that's worth). Here's my rather obvious question: what do you think about the spots? The obverse is fairly problem-free, but the reverse obviously has a splattering of small dots. I've read all the good information on CCF about black spots on copper coins, and while the question of grading and "do you like the coin?" is subjective, there's one question that seems to engender debate: will the spots grow or multiply? A side note is that the coin has a fairly nice amount of red for a BN rated coin. I would love any opinions about this coin in general, and the spots question in particular. Thanks in advance. (Moderators, I put this here instead of the grading forum; if I erred, I apologize.)
Quick edit: the CCF image optimizer vexes me on occasion; I'm sorry the reverse photo is small. If you expand it, the spots become much more clear.
Edited by Centsei
10/11/2017 11:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Centsei, looks to me that those spots may be more of an alloy mix problem than a corrosive carbon reaction. That said, they may not grow or multiply. Not mentioning the coffin grade puts me in a quandary as to what is a reasonable price. By the pix, I would only grade a low MS, even an AU slider, can't seem to say it is a clear uncirculated coin prior to entombment. You've done your homework apparently as to market value(subjective), so if coin is in range and an acceptable example for you, go for it. Dont think you'll have future changes, even in your lifetime.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Learn More...
United States
23076 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call from small images but this one looks quite worthy of the grade to me. It might have been penalized for what looks like a rather weak obverse strike; the reverse seems sharp as a tack. The reverse, blown up, doesn't strike me as "ugly" and I could probably accept the spotting. Even if the coin is overlit, I agree with your opinion on color. It's pretty good for a Brown.

RB examples don't seem to carry much of a premium in grade, so this might be another avenue to pursue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would pass on this coin. To me, the obverse has a weak strike (flat cheek)....and the spots.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a certain percentage of collectors in any of the collecting series that just say no to problem coins, regardless of if it is listed as a details coin, or not.

This has a lot of red for a plus, and a strong reverse strike. It has a rather poor obverse strike and those pesky measles on the reverse.

I wouldn't get this one, but I'm a hater - of spots.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6510 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree about the semi weak obverse . The tiny spots are probably not a problem for most folks unless they are seeking a 66 RD or better . Reverse strike is strong. IMHO PCGS gave this coin a 64, more for the reverse than the obverse .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3017 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an ongoing collection of Slabbed MS66 Lincoln cents and spots are too distracting. I pass right over nice coins that have them on the surfaces. Totally up to you though.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These would be almost imperceptible without magnification. I like it very much and would buy it if the price was right.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14317 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like, brown with tinges of red is quite attractive on a Lincoln IMO. A few tiny carbon spots are no big deal.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love it.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive coin with a good eye appeal, at the right price, yes, I would buy it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, but as most know, I'm cheap, and hate going upside down on any coin. Hope you can get it cheap. Fwiw, I like the old image optimizer better
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re the spots: I don't see them. I'm not saying they're not there, I'm saying that because I don't notice them, the problem doesn't exist for me.

Re your question: Yes, I would buy (assuming I like the price, too).
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimNWLincoln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin if you can get it for a good price. Of course, it is up to you. Do you really like the coin? Good luck with your collection.
Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. A buy if you like it and the price is right.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate the thoughtful replies. A couple of comments on the weak obverse strike confirmed a thought that was in the back of my mind, although I think I can live with that. I like the term "measles" for the spots. It's interesting how one coin can generate so many interesting opinions and bits of information. I know I would have a better collection if I could preview every purchase at CCF, but that would be presumptuous. I felt that it was OK on this one, because the "measles" issue would seem to be one with some wide relevance to other collectors. One thing we see confirmed in all this is how hard it is to find a truly nice older copper coin. There's always a spot or a scratch, and if the coin is problem-free and has good eye appeal, the seller usually knows that. In my limited experience, with "harder" dates, I go to the BN coins, and search for the ones that have a nice color and are clean. Bright reds are great (I love finding some from the 30's and 40's when they are affordable), but some careful searching in the browns allows me to find coins that are in my budget range, and still look OK.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05