Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 World War I Centennial Silver Medals  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I reading this correctly? You'll have to buy 5 separate sets and end up with 5 WWI commemorative $1 if you want to get these medals directly from the Mint?

Quote:
These medals will not be available individually, the U.S. Mint said. Instead, each will be paired with a World War I Centennial Silver Dollar and offered as a special set.

http://www.coinnews.net/2017/10/11/...dal-designs/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3583 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly reads as if five special sets will need to be purchased.

It just got expensive for those interested in the medals!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
United States
9399 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I've heard too. Another terrible decision by the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This makes no sense. Hopefully we are reading it wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6026 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, finally a US Navy medal for me. I might try to get that pairing and end up with the 2018 US WWI silver dollar at the same time.
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Pillar of the Community
United States
9399 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This makes no sense. Hopefully we are reading it wrong.

No way to read that wrong. They're planning to use them to drive sales of the commem which sadly means the coin medal set will likely have a stiff premium.

Only real hope would be that they change their mind. The medal set with a reasonable mintage would have been an instant sell out
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From Coin World article,

Quote:
The maximum combined mintage is 100,000 coin and medal sets across all five set options.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...-medals.html

Assuming they split equally amongst the 5 medals, each would have a mintage of 20,000. I suppose these could sell out, even with having to get the $1 commemorative with each one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9399 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The likely 20k limit on each is definitely interested. I would expect them to sell out at that those numbers with the possible exception of the Coast Guard, but even that one I think will sell out. They did a nice job with them, though it is a little disappointing they picked the Air Service design which is a close copy of the one the British used this year. That said it is still a nice design
Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice if they could have at least offered a set with all five medals and the silver dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3795 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..or at least make each $1 in different finishes
Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..or at least make each $1 in different finishes
I think I like that idea better. My wallet does not, but my brain does.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2018 Mint products release schedule indicates these will be released on Jan 17, 2018 (no price given).

Looks like they are only going to be issued in coin + medal sets, as indicated in the earlier press releases.

Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you fro mentioning that. I was looking at the schedule when it was linked in another topic. Looks like they did not use my "five medals plus dollar" set idea.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05