Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could this really be a brass penny?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2dklein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm told this was a trial strike in 1982 in brass.
It weighs 3.1g
The back is rotated about 20 degrees from the front
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3452 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I believe that by saying "brass", it simply means it's a 95% copper cent as opposed to a copper-plated zinc cent (proven by the given weight). They were made in both compositions that year. The 2017 you are comparing it to is a copper-plated zinc coin.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
23076 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly could be, since all Lincoln Cents have met the definition of "brass" - an alloy of copper and zinc - since 1909. Even ZLincoln cores are "brass" although the proportions are, um, a bit skewed.

And color comparisons between your two coins might be inappropriate, because the 1982 could be the old brass composition, and the outer coating of the 2017 is pure copper.

This sort of color variation is well-known in Lincolns, and I'd be questioning the knowledge of whoever told you it was a "trial strike in brass."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2818 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3.1g is the target weight for a pre-1983 95% Copper Lincoln Cent.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2dklein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked it up at a local auction. There was a bunch of writing on the flip, saying it was a trial strike, and they were given to U.S. senators.
I'm glad I only paid a buck for it, and thanks for your quick responses.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3452 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm glad I only paid a buck for it, and thanks for your quick responses.

No problem.

The "trial strike" thing is baloney. The reason the composition was changed in 1982 was the price of copper so, they removed 92.5% of the copper content and made the rest zinc to save money. There wouldn't have been a trial strike in what is essentially the original composition they wanted to do away with.

It appears to be in pretty good condition so, $1 isn't "losing your shirt".
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:20 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Buying a one cent Item for 100 cents is 99 cents of loss. That's the game of the uninformed. Why I hate it and give appropriate comments to sellers of so-called error coins like this on eww-boy and other venues. It is very important to be informed, way to many smucks trying to make a killing onthose folks who don't really know. It is sad. Let this be a lesson learned, and yes, it was only a buck, some make thousand dollar bad deals...daily.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something like half or more of the 1982 cents were struck in an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc, that is brass. They weighed 3.1 grams. So what you have is an ordinary 1982 D large dated "copper" cent.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1244 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ia It's a regular 95% copper cent. Millions were minted in 1982. But this one is still in a very good condition, so it's not too bad.

consider the 99 cent 'learning money', as in: ignore the writing on the flip. Everyone can put anything there, but that doesn't make it necessarily true. Somehow the coin hobby seems to inspire people to come up with the most creative stories about the history of some pieces: inherited from a grandparent, in the family for years, given by a mysterious indian who had traveled to Egypt, handed by general De Gaulle himself on a purple pillow while wearing a bunny suit, etc. In the end it's the coin that matters, not the story.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1367 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19961 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. There are known "brass plated" cents. Yours is not one of these,but wanted you to know such a thing is out there.http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2dklein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This will be my learning coin. Hopefully I wont have to learn too many more times.#128540; This is a great group, thank you all again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6510 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look , every Lincoln cent collector knows there can be many shades of this coin mainly due to it's environment .
There is no solid brass Lincoln trial cent of 1982 . The term brass and copper were used loosely for early to mid Wheaties . BTW , to the forum .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
23076 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This will be my learning coin. Hopefully I wont have to learn too many more times.#128540; This is a great group, thank you all again.

If this is the most expensive mistake you make, you'll be doing a whole lot better than I've done over the years.
Learn More...
United States
46408 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is the most expensive mistake you make, you'll be doing a whole lot better than I've done over the years.

Couldn't agree more! Speaking for myself over the years, I have paid much higher premiums for my uninformed purchases!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05