Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 USA Wheat Penny Coin Error  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  4:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dave5mox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1947 (Philadelphia mint) USA Wheat penny Coin Error;

The '1' in '1947' is almost missing. It is there but very hard to see. Using a magnifying glass does reveal an outline of the '1'
On the reverse there appears that during the pressing of the coin extra copper got 'pressed' onto the 'N' and 'E'

I have found not mention of any errors for this coin.
Please inform me if this is a rare error coin.

I would like the know the value of it.
It does not appear that it has been forged or altered.
It has to be almost 'one of a kind'.
How could I get it sold for top price?

Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
19137 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The missing "1" is from a grease-filled die and is fairly common among Lincoln cents, adding little value. The reverse damage seems to the result of the obverse being struck by some sort of blunt object.

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Edited by Coinfrog
10/12/2017 4:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1970 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the picture of the obverse was as clear as the reverse, it would have been much easier to see what has happened to the 1 of date, however there are Two possibilities: either a hit that has taken the 1 out considering there is a severe damage on the reverse, or it's a struck thru. filled die or defected die.
Whatever the cause may be your coin does not carry any premium other than the face value.
to the Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
19137 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One way or another, it's a damaged coin and basically worth one cent.

Edited by Coinfrog
10/12/2017 4:51 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave5mox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coinfrog and Chase007!

I go with grease error.

more photos:

This one through a magnifying glass.

Well, I guess someone would pay a penny for it.
Since it is damaged, it has only face value.
Burst my bubble of a multi-million auction.
POP!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
19137 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, we've all been there!

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a wheat. I would still keep it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20448 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I think it is damaged not a grease filled die. I can see the 1 and it is damaged.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4643 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  12:20 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Burst my bubble of a multi-million auction.
POP!

Sorry about that. That's what we're all here for: learning and sharing! Please do share any other interesting finds you come across.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05