Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toonie-Canada 150 - Any idea on what caused the tonal difference?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
278 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran into these two toonies from an original roll of toonies. The central core in the two pieces has markedly different tonal qualities. This difference only presents itself on the reverse. The other side of both pieces has similar tonal quality.

A) is the golden tone that is the normal tone and B) is the beige tone that was found on this one piece.

I have looked at many toonies from new rolls and have never run into such a beige tone. Even in circulated toonies or environmentally exposed toonies I have not seen such a tone.

And the tone variation has nothing to do with the angle it is viewed and the kind of lighting. It can be very obviously under many different lighting condition and angles

Any ideas or suggestions about the cause of this?

Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OttawaVoyageur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM just acknowledged it. They have lost in the wild a few toonies, made for VIPs, that have their core made of solid gold!

lucky you!

...nah just kidding. I have no clue what this is

Just imagine what I will write on April Fools' Day!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3052 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2017  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The A is showing that same colour at the 7 o'clock position.

The B has been exposed to more atmosphere before being tubed is my guess..more red than beige with these pics..so natural toning..

Maybe was at the top of the pile before being tubed..or maybe a hand touched it..or it wasn't properly cleaned in the minting process.

If left unprotected, the brighter one should also darken with time..IMO
Pillar of the Community
Canada
960 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One core,looks plated while the other does not
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05