Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How close can we get to a complete collection of US Pre-1964 coins?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 92
Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone.

I am not from America, but given that most members of this forum are and the fact that I like US coins, I decided to post this. I just thought it would be a fun challenge.

(The original topic at http://goccf.com/t/285995 failed).

Basically I invite you all to help building a complete set of regular-issue business strike circulating and commemorative US coins struck prior to 1964. (Please note extreme rarities such as 1933 $20 or 1870-S $3 are obviously going to be left out).

The Rules

- We will begin with 1964 and do it year by year in descending order. You cannot post a coin from 1963, for example, before we complete 1964.

- Only business strike coins. Commemorative, proofs, and other NCLT are not part of this. (Thus 1913 LHNs, 1894-S Barber dimes or 1804 dollars are not part of this set).

- No moving to the previous year until all these are posted for the year at which we are.

- Do not post duplicate coins unless your example is really outstanding.

- If you post multiple coins, each coin must be shown individually in a close-up photo.

- For each year we will begin with the lowest denomination (cent for later years, Half Cent for earlier years) and end with the highest denomination of circulating coins, after that the commemorative ones.

- Inside each denomination, the order of posting coins from each of the different mints is left to your choice.

- The coin you post must be yours, unless it's an extreme rarity (ex. 1933 double eagle)

- Varieties are not required, only date-mintmark combinations, however if you have some interesting variety feel free to post it. Major varieties, such as 1913 Buffalo nickels, 1917 SLQ, 1917 Walker (mintmark changes from obverse to reverse), 1909 Lincoln cents, etc. etc. are however part of this. The order of posting then is the earlier variety should go first, though it's not mandatory.

Already waiting for your coins .

Have fun .

If you can't figure out which coin is the next to be posted, see here:

http://www.uscoinlist.com

Big thanks to Tbone for providing us this link in the previous topic.
Edited by TheCoinDom
10/22/2017 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this topic looked familiar. Good idea to start at an earlier date. Maybe it will get moving this time since there won't be such a large coins to post each year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1520 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great fun! When do we get started?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am missing only 5 coins from 1934-1964, and none that I need are terribly difficult.

I also own at least one US Coin from every year back to 1797.

But I'll be honest - that list of rules turned me off. If I wanted to show a commemorative or a proof or a mint set, for that matter, I can't see the harm.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to agree!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16917 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too got a little confused with all the rules. Actually started to fall asleep reading them all.
Not sure if we are supposed to submit one coin at time or the entire set.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start. 1964 1 cent

Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@just carl Yes, you are supposed to post one coin at a time and not the entire set. I don't believe the rules are that complicated though.

@moxking, you can post a mint set but not as a single photo. Just take a picture of each coin at once. The reason proofs aren't included is because they could completely block the thread once we reach ~1855. And, okay I will add commemorative coins to this thread. I would be grateful to see your coins in this thread!

@bd251. Nice cent .

I'm looking forward to some more nice coins.
Edited by TheCoinDom
10/22/2017 11:27 am
Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick note: Staff, could you please move this to Classic US coins? Accidentally posted it in the Modern category. Also, I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice if we could change the title every so often to add *WE NEED [insert coin]* eg. *WE NEED: 1964-D CENT*
Edited by TheCoinDom
10/22/2017 4:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof coins could block the thread once we reach 1855?
Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if we decide to include proof coins we should include all proof coins (maybe I'm too strict but whatever). Once we reach past the 1850s the proofs are extremely rare, too rare I believe for anyone on this forum to have them.
Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I'm just hoping for is that this thread doesn't stall like the previous one did. (The previous thread, which started on 2017, stalled at the 2016 Kennedy half).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple questions:
1) should a person wait for someone else to post a coin before posting the next one?
2) I'm assuming that you only want to include commemoratives intended for circulation, correct?
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quick note: Staff, could you please move this to Classic US coins? Accidentally posted it in the Modern category.
I think we should move it once we get into classic territory, it that is okay. I had move the last one from classic to modern to get it moving, although that seemed to fail as we got stuck with that half dollar.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice if we could change the title every so often to add *WE NEED [insert coin]* eg. *WE NEED: 1964-D CENT*
In the other threads of this type, we usually do not change the title unless we get stuck. Hopefully this one will move along better, but I will change the topic title if necessary.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A couple questions: 1) should a person wait for someone else to post a coin before posting the next one?
Yes, it is cutomary to allow others to participate, unless we get stuck.

Quote:
2) I'm assuming that you only want to include commemoratives intended for circulation, correct?
Correct. I think NCLT should be excluded, this includes proof coins, because they get to be really difficult the further back we go.
Valued Member
Belgium
185 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinDom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay jbuck let's exclude NCLT, I'm not sure if I can still edit the topic now (I'll try though)EDIT: I can't. jbuck, could you please specify this in the topic, I'd be grateful. bd251, yes, just as jbuck said you should wait until another person posts a coin, though if you post just two or three at a time once in a while (not all the time) I think it's fine, if you post ten however it's not.

For now, we will consider ourselves 'stuck' if there is no posting for 4 days. I might change this delay depending on the attention this thread gets.

Plus, jbuck could you please lock the previous thread? I think it's useless now since we have this one.

I don't know if it wouldn't have been useful if we posted a complete list of the coins in order of posting, maybe would've made the rules simpler to understand.
Edited by TheCoinDom
10/23/2017 12:10 pm
Page: of 92 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05