Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing stone mounting on a coin...  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Italy
43 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robert_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ciao, have a look to this amazing job, all carved and mounted…
The stones looks zircons to me, but I am not sure what they are.
Do you know other examples of such art works?
A gift for a lady, for good luck?
Roberto

Pillar of the Community
United States
9996 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly something that took some time and a good eye. I've never seen anything quite like that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18131 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me neither!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting! Have you had the stones checked out? And if you don't mind me asking, how did you come about this coin?
If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13276 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A zircon is a doubly refracting stone. (You can see double images of intersecting facet lines inside the stone.)

A diamond is a single refracting stone.

Clean the coin with an ultrasonic cleaner, and examine the stones with a gem microscope or a 20 X gem magnifier, that has a narrow depth of field.
USB microscope may be good for this as well.

I agree; most probably zircons. From appearance the use of diamonds in an artwork of this type / value would be unjustified.
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1638 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it ....special coin.
Italy
43 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robert_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the coin in a flea market and the seller didn't have a clue of the purpose this coin was made for, he was not the original owner.

For sure he asked some jeweler to check the stone before to sell it, I imagine... By the way, I will ask somebody to verify the stones and to clean the coin with an ultrasonic cleaner.

But why such a great job on a bronze coin and not even on a silver one? Probably the coin was a gift or a special souvenir for somebody. What a pity have lost the story of it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a pity have lost the story of it.

If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2017  02:02 am  Show Profile   Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An opportunity to have a "make up the best story" contest.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05