Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D Nickel Mark Over Zero In Date And R In Liberty

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bluevase to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Continuing my education process, LOL, this has some similarities to a Die Crack or a CUD similarity yet a minor CUD, if so.

The previous die crack post was a 1980D quarter which I thought was a Die Break but was identified as a Die Crack. In that case, the manifestation was very crisp and distinct. This coin, is one of a few that I haven't posted yet that have more of a "blob" versus a crisp manifestation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4466 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is you are referring to on this coin, my observation is the bar atop the 0 and perhaps one atop the R ( but looks more like damage from this pic) your pic. is a bit too dark to see the devices clearly, do not see any die cracks.in any event I don't believe it is considered a Cud even though it is connected to the Rim, it is more of a die chip and not uncommon.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, hard to see but may be a "bar" nickle? Maybe just metal movement from hits as by each area you stated the rim seems to have be nicked by something
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Chase. This would be called a bar nickel. Even though it's very slight. A decent one would have 4+ connecting the devices to the rim.But good eyes and keep searching the next coin might be your best yet!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "bar" nickel as is known, is a die break over devices that have moved closer to the edge of die due to metal flow moving outwards. There is a hit on the rim above LIBERTY, that's damage. Over the 0 may go either way, zChase is right on that, just can't tell for sure, could be a bar nick.
Edited by Crazyb0
11/03/2017 6:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep searching. You are asking about coins that we can all learn about.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10235 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without closer images, over the R looks like damage and over the 0 may be a die break/chip making it a "bar" nickel.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bluevase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great info! Sorry for bad pic, here's a closer pic.

Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bluevase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this coin closer and reviewing cuds on the cuds-on-coins site, I think this is a cud. The site has a coin CU-5c-1960D-03 to 07 and looking at the image, the cud on 05 and 07 match this coin. I will submit the coin to them for review. Thanks all and sorry for the initial poor picture.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2017  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bluevase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JC at cuds-on-coins listed this as CU-5c-1960D-08 and CU-5c-1960D-09. My first submission!! Woo Hoo!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05