Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alexander The Great Tetradrachm: Authentic Or Fake

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russian Federation
12 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  10:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pratamishus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Hello everyone!

Really happy to join this community. I an pretty new to numismatics so, please, be patient with me :)

I've always wanted to have an Alexander The Great tetradrachm so I am trying to identify whether this coin is authentic. Can you help me with it, please? It looks like it's a babylon mint 323-317BC. It's 16.85 gramms and 27.24mm in widest diameter.

So what do you think? Does it look authentic?

Poll Choices
  Definitely authentic
  Looks authentic
  Defintely fake
  Looks fake

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t501tx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The chipped off area at 5 o'clock is interesting
Russian Federation
12 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pratamishus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You mean it looks suspicious?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5664 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks authentic to me, but if it is, the chipping indicates that the silver is crystallized and may be brittle. I would truthfully hold out for a better example... depending on the extent of the crystallization, it could split or shatter if dropped.

Also, I'm not sure if this is important to you or not, but Zeus' legs crossed usually means it's a posthumous issue... they were made as late as 150 years after Alexander's death. Alexander's lifetime tetradrachms carry a premium, but you can still get one in about this shape for $300 or less.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Your coins looks genuine IMO, though the surface is porous most likely from being exposed to a damp environment.
Russian Federation
12 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2017  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pratamishus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see now. Thank you very much everyone. As I told before I am pretty new to this, so I didn't even know about the crystallization. I guess I will try a different one.
Learn More...
United States
75020 Posts
United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mat29a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it may be difficult to assess authenticity due to wear heavy oxidation, and photo colour inaccuracies the facial feature of heracles and zeus design, this coin has high probability of being authentic to me . the chip however looks somewhat suspiscious. somehow it looks like an outer layer has been chipped of the inner core of some alloy which is impossible to tell without physically inspecting the coin per se. it could even be a layer of deposits ie minerals etc
Edited by mat29a
01/07/2019 4:08 pm
Learn More...
United States
75020 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 °/° authentic IMO . It is a posthumous coin from just after his death .The reference is Price 3692 . Hereby my tetradrachme , almost the same from Babylon . albert
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15629 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albert: Your coin raises far less suspicion in my mind than the OP example does.

It would be a good exercise if we all compared the two sets of images.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel , I bought my coin by Roma Numismatics in London , so I can be sure I believe .
Looking better , it is maybe a fourée . I see some problems at the border at 3 / 5 / 9 / 11 h on the obverse .With the technics used to make fourrées , it is possible the problems are only at one border .To be sure (?) , better photos of the border and the edge are needed . albert
Germany
33 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far it looks authentic to me with signs of corrosion and some lamination. Keep on researching anyway. I agree with albert. When in doubt, also posting hi-res pictures of the edges is a good idea!
Cheers
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05