Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A continuing thread ~ Post your recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia acquisition  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Linbergh medal
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Linbergh and storyline. Nice medal and post!
pareidolia "Itís where your mind puts visual clues together and makes you see stuff that isnít there."
Thanks chafemasterj
Learn More...
United States
57096 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent post and nice medal, Griffin Coins!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Prophet Jonah
1970 Genius of Michelangelo Series Franklin Mint

45mm 1.25 troy ounce .925 sterling silver

The Prophet Jonah is one of the seven Old Testament prophets painted by the Italian High Renaissance master Michelangelo (c. 1542Ė1545) on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The Sistine Chapel is in Vatican Palace, in the Vatican City.

This particular fresco is painted above the High Altar, as the person of Jonah is of prophetic significance in Christianity. Behind the figure of Jonah, Michelangelo has painted a large fish, a reference to the fact that in the Book of Jonah, Jonah is swallowed by one.

The great fish vomits up Jonah after he is the belly for three days praying in repentence.

pareidolia "Itís where your mind puts visual clues together and makes you see stuff that isnít there."
Thanks chafemasterj
Edited by TNG
02/12/2018 4:54 pm
Learn More...
United States
57096 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zachary Taylor 12th US President and US Major General

During the War of 1812, in which U.S. forces battled the British Empire and its Indian allies, Taylor successfully defended Fort Harrison in Indiana Territory from an Indian attack commanded by Tecumseh.

He fought in the Black Hawk War and the Second Seminole War.

During the Mexican-American War Taylor commanded American forces at the Battle of Palo Alto and the nearby Battle of Resaca de la Palma. Though greatly outnumbered, he defeated the Mexican ďArmy of the NorthĒ commanded by General Mariano Arista, and forced the troops back across the Rio Grande. After crossing the Rio Grande, in September Taylor inflicted heavy casualties upon the Mexicans at the Battle of Monterrey, and captured that city in three days, despite its impregnable repute.
Learning of Santa Anna's approach, and refusing to retreat despite the Mexican army's greater numbers, Taylor established a strong defensive position near the town of Saltillo. Santa Anna attacked Taylor with 20,000 men at the Battle of Buena Vista in February 1847, leaving around 700 Americans dead or wounded at a cost of over 1,500 Mexican.
Outmatched, the Mexican forces retreated, ensuring a "far-reaching" victory for the Americans.
In December he received a hero's welcome in New Orleans and Baton Rouge which set the stage for the 1848 presidential election.

Did you know that Taylor coined the phrase "First Lady" in his eulogy for Dolly Madison? He was a Major general, his military career and death in office as the 12th US President look to be very similar to William Henry Harrison's demise.
Taylor became ill and died in office. Rumors began to circulate that Taylor was poisoned by pro-slavery Southerners, and similar theories persisted into the 21st century.
His remains were exhumed in 1991 and it was determined that he was not poisoned. The analysis concluded Taylor had contracted "cholera morbus, or acute gastroenteritis", as Washington had open sewers, and his food or drink may have been contaminated. Any potential for recovery was overwhelmed by his doctors, who treated him with "ipecac, calomel, opium, and quinine" at 40 grains per dose (approximately 2.6 grams), and "bled and blistered him too."
Political scientist Michael Parenti questions the traditional explanation for Taylor's death. Relying on interviews and reports by forensic pathologists, he argues that the procedure used to test for arsenic poisoning was fundamentally flawed. A 2010 review concludes: "there is no definitive proof that Taylor was assassinated, nor would it appear that there is definitive proof that he was not."

Thanks chafemasterj
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
President Theodore Roosevelt
26th US President and ... One tough guy.

Definately in the Top 5 favorite Presidents on my list.
To write here about his accomplishments would be too lengthy, but did you know...

On October 14, 1912, while campaigning in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Roosevelt was shot by a saloonkeeper named John Flammang Schrank. The bullet lodged in his chest after penetrating his steel eyeglass case and passing through a thick single-folded copy of the speech titled "Progressive Cause Greater Than Any Individual", which he was carrying in his jacket.
Roosevelt, as an experienced hunter and anatomist, correctly concluded that since he was not coughing blood, the bullet had not reached his lung, and he declined suggestions to go to the hospital immediately.

Instead, he delivered his scheduled speech with blood seeping into his shirt. He spoke for 90 minutes before completing his speech and accepting medical attention. His opening comments to the gathered crowd were,

Quote:
"Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot, but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."

Afterwards, probes and an x-ray showed that the bullet had lodged in Roosevelt's chest muscle, but did not penetrate the pleura. Doctors concluded that it would be less dangerous to leave it in place than to attempt to remove it, and Roosevelt carried the bullet with him for the rest of his life.

By acquiring the difficult Roosevelt medal, I have finally nailed my 4th medal from this US President Medallic Art Co. series to make my own little Mt Rushmore. collection.
Thanks chafemasterj
Learn More...
United States
57096 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent acquisitions and write-ups, TNG!

Quote:
By acquiring the difficult Roosevelt medal, I have finally nailed my 4th medal from this US President Medallic Art Co. series to make my own little Mt Rushmore. collection.
Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2100 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian coin club medal, although I bought it because of the cow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the Dairy medal.

I remember as a very small child, probably 5, my little sister told my mother she wanted to grow up to be a horse.
Naturally to be different, I told my mother, I wanted to be a cow.
I did turn out to be a door to door milkman, and my sister turned out to be a cow!
Thanks chafemasterj
Learn More...
United States
57096 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Canadian coin club medal, although I bought it because of the cow.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rather scarce round and well designed sterling silver medal.
weighing 24.8 grams. When I figure out what series it is from, the image will reflect that info.

Chief Red Cloud

Red Cloud was one of the most important leaders of the Oglala Lakota. He led from 1868 to 1909. One of the most capable Native American opponents that the United States Army faced in its mission to subdue the western territories, he led a successful campaign in 1866Ė1868 known as Red Cloud's War over control of the Powder River Country in northeastern Wyoming and southern Montana.

Red Cloud, Spotted Tail, ( another silver medal I have posted about here in this thread http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=16#2618903 ) and Lone Horn traveled to Washington in 1875 in an attempt to persuade President Grant to honor existing treaties and stem the flow of gold miners into their lands. The Native Americans met on various occasion with Grant.

Grant told them Congress was ready to resolve the matter by paying the tribes $25,000 for their land and resettling them into Indian Territory.
The delegates refused to sign such a treaty, with Spotted Tail saying about the proposal:

Quote:
ďWhen I was here before, the President gave me my country, and I put my stake down in a good place, and there I want to stay.... You speak of another country, but it is not my country; it does not concern me, and I want nothing to do with it. I was not born there.... If it is such a good country, you ought to send the white men now in our country there and let us alone."

Spotted Tail

Although Red Cloud was unsuccessful in finding a peaceful solution, he did not take part in the Lakota war of 1876-1877, which was led by Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.
Thanks chafemasterj
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some fantastic adds since my last visit!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
57096 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7063 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another medal from The Franklin Mintís 1977
ďGreat American Indian Chiefs" series.
Chief Frank Fools Crow
The edge is marked Sterling.
approx .65 Troy ounces
Diam 36 mm
Minted 1973

I wanted this one after seeing the quality in the TECUMSEH - SHAWNEE I bought from the same seller. http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=17#2622353
The images were terrible but in hand the TECUMSEH is awesome.
I was drawn to the headdress on this Chief Fools Crow medal. To me it was the best eye catcher of the series.
I then read more about him and his more recent story at Wounded Knee.
I can expect it to look much nicer than this image I provide.
I plan to rep[lace these images in my albums and then it will automatically appear here in the updated image.
For now this will do.

Frank Fools Crow (circa 1890 Ė 1989) was a Oglala Lakota civic and religious leader. 'Grandfather', or 'Grandpa Frank' as he was often called, was a nephew of Black Elk
( see this page http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=18#2625286 )
who worked to preserve Lakota traditions, including the Sun Dance and yuwipi ceremonies. As a young man he traveled around the United States with the Buffalo Bill Cody's Buffalo Bill's Wild West show.
He spent much of his life serving his people as a medicine man, healer, and teacher.
He supported Lakota sovereignty and treaty rights, and was a leader of the traditional faction during the armed standoff at Wounded Knee in 1973.

Thanks chafemasterj
Edited by TNG
02/15/2018 11:56 am
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05