Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A continuing thread ~ Post your recent Tokens, Medals, Exonumia acquisition  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1947 C.Smith So-called Half Dollars Set
( when I get Edison, these images will magically update as I replace them in my album. )

Got 7 of the 8 in a set at about half the price of a General Lee specimen alone. I already owned a couple of this set. The Lexington and Confederate Seal will be duplicates.
The two confederates are the keys and the General Lee being the most sought after.

These are sometimes complete and listed on eBay in Wayte Raymond album pages as shown for sale. Usually well over $100.00 a set.
The page alone sometimes becomes available cheap but you have to be quick.
I'll be on the look-out for an album page.
My set will look like this ...

I am short the Edison medal. It's no big deal, they are common. I am sure I'll get one shortly.
Here's my incomplete set.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that didn't take long ....
The Edison looks OK.

I bought a lot of three at $4.65 bucks each cause that's how they came, Edison Byrd and Lindbergh. I see my worst of the set would probably be the Pony Express.
Which my OCD will demand I update if it is scruffy.
I'll be picking the best of each and sticking them in a Wayte Raymond album page someday.
If the Pony Express sticks out like a sore thumb, I'll probably replace it, put the 5 duplicates together in a lot and maybe even get all or most my money back by selling them.
Today I learned there were also 1948 C Smith so called half dollars.
I found three.
1948 C.smith Admiral William T. Sampson
1948 C.smith Battleship Maine
1948 C.smith T. Roosevelt / San Juan Hill

They don't look cheap. The hunt is on.
Edited by TNG
04/17/2018 12:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heraldic Art Medals were made three per year from 1959 to 1978.
Those from the 1970's seem to be quite scarce.

My 19th Heraldic Medal is
1973 Monroe Doctrine

The Monroe Doctrine was a United States policy of opposing European colonialism in the Americas beginning in 1823. It stated that further efforts by European nations to take control of any independent state in North or South America would be viewed as "the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States."
At the same time, the doctrine noted that the U.S. would recognize and not interfere with existing European colonies nor meddle in the internal concerns of European countries. The Doctrine was issued on December 2, 1823 at a time when nearly all Latin American colonies of Spain and Portugal had achieved, or were at the point of gaining, independence from the Portuguese and Spanish Empires.
President James Monroe first stated the doctrine during his seventh annual State of the Union Address to Congress. The term "Monroe Doctrine" itself was coined in 1850.
By the end of the 19th century, Monroe's declaration was seen as a defining moment in the foreign policy of the United States and one of its longest-standing tenets. It would be invoked by many U.S. statesmen and several U.S. presidents, including Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt (The Roosevelt Corollary), John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan. The intent and impact of the Monroe Doctrine persisted with only small variations for more than a century. Its stated objective was to free the newly independent colonies of Latin America from European intervention and avoid situations which could make the New World a battleground for the Old World powers, so that the U.S. could exert its own influence undisturbed. The doctrine asserted that the New World and the Old World were to remain distinctly separate spheres of influence, for they were composed of entirely separate and independent nations.

The Roosevelt Corollary was an addition to the Monroe Doctrine articulated by President Theodore Roosevelt in his State of the Union address in 1904 after the Venezuela Crisis of 1902–03. The corollary states that the United States will intervene in conflicts between the European countries and Latin American countries to enforce legitimate claims of the European powers, rather than having the Europeans press their claims directly.
Roosevelt tied his policy to the Monroe Doctrine, and it was also consistent with his foreign policy included in his Big Stick Diplomacy. Roosevelt stated that in keeping with the Monroe Doctrine, the United States was justified in exercising "international police power" to put an end to chronic unrest or wrongdoing in the Western Hemisphere. While the Monroe Doctrine had sought to prevent European intervention, the Roosevelt Corollary was used to justify US intervention throughout the hemisphere.

In 1934, President Franklin D. Roosevelt renounced interventionism and established his Good Neighbor policy for the Western Hemisphere.

Here is a rather large pdf file that is quite informative on this series.
It is probably the best info available on these medals.
https://ia801505.us.archive.org/8/i...rtMedals.pdf
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My seven 1947 C Smith so called half dollars arrived better than expected. The Pony Express is not exactly perfect, but better than I thought and acceptable.

There's only a small dark mark as can be seen at 1 o'clock on the obverse of Byrd near the rim.

I expected worse and bought the extra Byrd and Lindbergh along with the Edison I needed.
Hope Edison matches these in quality and that the Byrd is an improvement. Very satisfied!

The image in this related post http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=35#2694377
will magically update with my best 8 medals when the second lot arrives. Very happy.
Now to find a WAYTE RAYMOND album page.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My seven 1947 C Smith so called half dollars arrived better than expected.
Nice group!
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CRYSTAL WHITE LAUNDRY SOAP octogonal token.

GOOD FOR TWO CAKES CRYSTAL WHITE LAUNDRY SOAP FREE WHEN YOU BUY THREE CAKES

DEALERS. THIS CHECK WILL BE REDEEMED AT YOUR RETAIL PRICE AND ONLY WHEN CONDITIONS ON THE REVERSE SIDE HAVE BEEN COMPLIED WITH CWA 27 THE PALMOLIVE-PEET CO CHICAGO

As common as dirt, but at least its in nice shape.

I wonder if folks try to collect all of the offer codes; this one is "CWA 27".

Q/ Is anyone else surprised that the offer was to pay the dealer's retail price?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the contribution Ikey!
You're right, that is in nice shape.
My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 20th ( different ) Heraldic Art Medal

William Henry Seward and The Alaska Purchase
Alaska became the 49th State in 1959

US Senator & Governor of New York, Nominee at the 1860 Republican National Convention for President but lost out to Lincoln. Worked closely with Lincoln during his presidency and served as Secretary of State.
All on the day that Lincoln was assassinated, an attempt on Seward also occurred but was unsuccessful. An assassination of the vice president Andrew Johnson was also planned but not carried out.

He was a strong supporter for American expansion.
Seward had been interested in whaling as a senator; his interest in Russian America was a byproduct of this. In his speech prior to the 1860 convention, he predicted the territory would become part of the U.S.
When he learned in 1864 that it might be for sale, he pressed the Russians (then a U.S. ally) for negotiations.
The Russian minister, Baron Eduard de Stoeckl, returned home on leave in 1866. Fearing that the territory might be overrun by American settlers and lost, he urged his government to sell it. He was given the authority to make the sale and when he returned in March 1867, negotiated with the Secretary of State.
Seward initially offered $5 million. The two men settled on $7 million and on March 15, Seward presented a draft treaty to the Cabinet.
Stoeckl's superiors raised several concerns. To induce him to waive them, the final purchase price was increased to $7.2 million.
The treaty was signed in the early morning of March 30, 1867, and ratified by the Senate on April 10. Stevens sent the secretary a note of congratulations, predicting that the Alaska purchase would be seen as one of Seward's greatest accomplishments.

Despite his being an ardent supporter of American expansionism during his time in the Cabinet, only Alaska was added to U.S. territory during Seward's service as Secretary of State. The land had the same latitude as Siberia and was very difficult to farm, neither gold nor oil nor any other important mineral was discovered there until years after Seward's death.
Nevertheless, his influence extended to later American acquisitions. One of his friends, Hamilton Fish, in 1875 signed the trade reciprocity treaty with the Kingdom of Hawaii that eventually led to American annexation of the islands. William Everts, another Seward friend, in 1877 signed a treaty of friendship with the Samoan Islands, laying the groundwork for another American acquisition. A young friend and protege of Seward, Lincoln's assistant private secretary, John Hay, served as a successor of Seward from 1898 to 1905, during which time the U.S. acquired Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Philippines, and the Panama Canal Zone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the same seller of the Alaska medal above I nabbed this neat medal I had been watching on and off for a half year. This is a pretty nice example.

J.R. Quigley Frontier Town Montana
Prospector Old West Medal

Rather than write a whole lot, this amazing website covers the history of this once popular "Roadside America" attraction. I could have lived there and loved it. They were nice people for sure.
http://frontiertownmontana.com/index.htm
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a sucker for minimalist design, and this lovely medal qualifies ... and how!

Take a moment, and think of all of the additions & enhancements that they managed to avoid: a covered wagon, a twenty-mule-team pulling borax, a herd of cattle, city slickers turning into cowboys, a paddle-driven riverboat plying the Mississippi River ... not to mention the whole Mississippi River!

And how cool is it that The St Louis Arch has a Ten Dollar Name: the JEFFERSON NATIONAL EXPANSION MEMORIAL. Who knew?

The medal was produced by MEDALLIC ART CO NY (the same company that made the CCF medal) and, if my scan was better, you could see that it was designed by M.FREDERICKS(c)1964.

Less is more!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is nice and simple, great condition too.
I just read in 2018 the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial had it's name changed to The Gateway Arch National Park. Hmmm who decides these things?
I also read the Gateway arch has a unique tram system to carry passengers to the observation room at the top of the arch. No windows I am guessing until you get to the 630 foot top.
If you are afraid of heights or claustrophobic, I think you better think twice before getting on the tram.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this 7/8th inch bronze medal elsewhere trying to get some info on it.
I don't think I'll find out what this is or who designed it unless I just get lucky. I tried believe me.

I'll just call it
1900's Art Nouveau Bronze Medal Woman with Flowing Hair

( possibly French ) Art Nouveau, is a style of art most popular between 1890 and 1910.
The back or reverse is incised and the field is flat. The anvil die must have had a design as well of the bust.
The obverse die having more detail.
It is at least a millimeter thick, about that of a Lincoln cent I would say, and the edge has no writing but looks like it was a planchet of sorts and not some sheet metal.
I can let my imagination go and think I see a signature under the jaw there that goes toward the neck.
It is larger than a US nickel but smaller than a quarter.
Not to double post, the other was for help in identification but this is just to show my latest medal.
I like it.

It is darker in hand than this image shows with nice aged patina.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7229 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  01:28 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kansas Sterling Statehood Medal
Great Seal of The State of Kansas

This is an uncirculated sterling Kansas medal with an ox drawn covered wagon on the obverse and a couple bison in the background. The reverse has the state seal, which is what this medal is about when Kansas became a state in 1861.
I am dating it as such because I do not know the date this medal was made ... yet.

The design for the Great Seal of Kansas was submitted by John J. Ingalls, a state senator from Atchison. Ingalls also proposed the state motto, "Ad astra per aspera."
The Great Seal of the State of Kansas was established by a joint resolution adopted by the Kansas Legislature May 25, 1861.
The resolution states:
"The east is represented by a rising sun, in the right-hand corner of the seal; to the left of it, commerce is represented by a river and a steamboat; in the foreground, agriculture is represented as the basis of the future prosperity of the state, by a settler’s cabin and a man plowing with a pair of horses; beyond this is a train of ox-wagons, going west; in the background is seen a herd of buffalo, retreating, pursued by two Indians, on horseback; around the top is the motto,
'Ad astra per aspera,' which translates "To the Stars through Difficulties"
and beneath a cluster of thirty-four stars. The circle is surrounded by the words, "Great seal of the state of Kansas. January 29, 1861."

Artwork is an illustrated 1876 historical coat of arms I thought was neat.
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05