Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976-D Kennedy Half-Dollar Double Die!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Korea, Republic Of
1 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BeardWix to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys!

It's my first post here.

For a couple of years, I just collected interesting coins, such as S-mint mark coins, silver dimes, etc. I never thought I came across any mint error coins
But when I was looking though my old coins, I happened to look very closely at a 1976 Half Dollar that I had for some time, and noticed that it had doubling on the back! (not entirely sure about the front)

(Reverse Photos)

(Obverse Photos)

So, what do you guys think? Is this legitimate doubling, or is it something else? Eager for answers here
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imacblaine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a bunch that look similar to this, I had someone in a coin shop once tell me that even if it was doubling, it wasn't far enough off to be considered anything of value. But I've also heard that it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I'm still pretty new at the whole coin collecting thing and I'm really just posting here so that I can see what everyone else says about it. Welcome to the community, the seniors here have my respect and from what I can tell they are very knowledgeable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It looks like DDD(die deterioration doubling) to me but more experienced people will let you know for sure
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imacblaine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.coincommunity.com/dictionary/
Coin community dictionary
http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php
Visual tool
http://www.error-ref.com/error_and_..._check_list/
Secondary visual and technical tool

http://www.error-ref.com/error_and_..._check_list/ another dictionary specifically for mint errors
DDD, Mechanical Doubling, lettering die inclusion, flat field doubling,there are so many different errors and research tools, I hope these help.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
STATES and by clocktower is MD, shelf-like, same direction. EPUBUNUM, now is a mess. It is MD, the divides are normal width, just reduced or twisted. Die deterioration is starting but no th e key problem.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep searching. We have folks report neat finds here almost every day.
Learn More...
United States
68349 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33445 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!

to the CCF!
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Howard Black to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit (quite a bit!) late to the party, but I thought I'd give you my two cents for your fifty <g>.

The EPU looks legit to me. Yes, I see die deterioration, but guess what? A die with doubling will eventually deteriorate! Then you'll have die doubling AND die deterioration doubling. You may even have some MD too!

The presence of MD or DDD does not obviate any DD on a coin. It's not a binary choice.

Anyway, I see enough spread, separation lines, and split serifs to convince me that there is die-doubling. In any event (if you're still following this thread), I'd suggest sending it to John Wexler for a definitive opinion. He does not charge an arm and a leg, he knows his stuff, and if you're the first one to discover a variety, you will be THE name attributed, you'll get a letter from him that can be sent with the coin to a grading company and they'll make note of it and put something on the label in the slab -- and the first -- attributed -- coin of that type will carry a premium that later instances of that coin will not carry (only a factor if you are going to sell it, of course).

And now, for something completely different...

I have noticed something on virtually every coin forum and social media group I have seen. It is remarkably consistent. When a "newbie" shows up with a prospective error/variety coin, like clockwork, he will be inundated with assurances that his coin is PMD or MD and is only worth face value, thanks for playing, and we don't have a lovely consolation prize for you.

All I can figure is that "The Group," per se -- those who've paid their dues, for lack of a better term -- equate "new to our group" with "zero numismatic knowledge, found a common coin and really thinks he's got something."

I've seen blatantly obvious bona fide var/err coins INSTANTLY dismissed as worthless rubbish -- and should "the newbie" go into, "But... but... let me explain, I don't think you're seeing what I'm seeing" mode, he will often be met with ANGER for daring to disagree with "The Group."

I have personally encountered this. I was actually BANNED from a Farcebook group, with the parting shot taken at me consisting of a string of venomous insults, informing me that the reason for what I "thought" was an issue with my cent was due to -- this is comical -- WEAR.

That's right -- my coin was OVER-weight due to "wear"!

So, I tend to be very circumspect WRT submitting coins for opinions. If I really need to be called an idiot, well, that's what my family is for. <g>

PS: This is not a "coin group" thing. It's a "this is OUR club, and YOU ain't a member!" thing. If you doubt that, just try adding some salient content to a Wikipedia article. No matter how on-point it is, I can almost guarantee that it will be reverted before the day is over. One of "the cabal" wil be offended -- and by golly he'll show YOU! (And if you have the gall to "unrevert" it, you'll be smacked down with a volley of incomprehensible Wikipedia nomenclature acronyms that only a TRUE "editor" can wield (or even understand).

And if you think THAT'S bad, then you shoulda seen Usenet twenty or thirty years ago!

But, if you're still here, you've been here for over a year, so maybe YOU'RE an insider now, in which case you can tell ME off! <g,d&r>
Edited by Howard Black
03/15/2019 01:37 am
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atrox001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of some doubling on EPU on a 50c 76PR DDR-001, note the notching. I think the doubling on EPU on the half in this post looks like MDD.

Larry Nienaber

Edited by atrox001
03/15/2019 12:57 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05