Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First attempt at identifying Roman coin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

I have a pretty poor quality Roman coin in my possession that I am trying to identify. I was using the site, http://romancoin.info/, to try and help identify my coin. From the site, the best guess I have is the obverse is of Constantine Jr and the reverse is of two victories facing each other holding wreaths.

The only issue I see is that the text on the reverse does not seem to match up with the example. Maybe it does but it is pretty worn and I just can't match up the letters. This may be because I am new to this identification and used to crisp sharp letters on coins.

I would like to draw upon some of the knowledge of other experts here on the site. What are your opinions? I would love to have information to identify this coin and learn more about it.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always found Tesorillo to be the easiest tool to use for late bronzes:

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/107/107i.htm

Yours thankfully is an easy ID because the right half of the obverse legend is just "PF AVG". Constantine Jr and Constantius II's names were too long, so that only leaves Constans.

Constantine II is actually uncommon as Augustus; he was too greedy and triggered a civil war that he couldn't win. IIRC, he was Augustus only for a year or two before meeting his end in battle against his brothers.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the obverse says CONSTANS on the left and PFAVG on the right. Constans being his name and PFAVG being Pius Felix Augustus correct?

For the reverse, the text on the left looks like it says VICTORIA with other characters after that I cannot make out. There also seems to be text underneath the two Victories. Curious as to what that text can be? Also where does the mint mark usually go on these coins?

One last question... we know who the emperor is and what the reverse is showing, but what type of coin is this?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse inscription is VICTORIAE DD AVGG Q NN

Which stands for: Victoriae duorum dominorum augusti que nostrorum - to the victory(ies) of our two Lord Emperors. The text at the bottom is the mintmark - SMTS-Gamma: Sacra Moneta (sacred money) Thessalonika (Officina) Gamma. It just means the third mint workshop in Thessalonika.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that is fantastic. Thanks for your assistance. I find it so crazy that coins this old have such a complex identification system. There is so much to learn about these! Would you by any chance be able to suggest a really good primer on Roman coins? Something that covers the basics?
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I think I found the match and got the RIC#. I was on wildwinds and I think this is the correct coin:

Constans AE4 of Thessalonica.

CONSTANS-PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN, Two Victories facing each other, each
holding wreaths and palm branches.

Palm branch upright in lower centre.

Mintmark SMTS Gamma.

RIC VIII Thessalonica 106

Is this correct in its entirety?
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi-
I have been away from the forum for a while and see you did not get an answer to your last question.

Yes you probably have gotten the correct ID- or at least real close. However- your coin is worn in a couple of critical spots. The space between the two victories and below the wreaths, and what Constans has on his head.

You will need to look close with a loop- between the victories is there a definite palm branch? Or nothing? Or a dot?

Here is another link helpful in getting you to the exact RIC and description.
HELVETICA'S IDENTIFICATION HELP PAGE at

http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05