Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1776 $1 Continental CURENCY, Pewter Coin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pkzac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Guys
This coin was passed down to me by my Grandmother and I was hoping you guys could shed some light on it.
From what I have gathered its a 1776 $1 Continental CURENCY, Pewter Coin with the mis spelled Currency with one "r" Curency. It seems to be the N-1-C version.
It also has a "R" initial preceding the 1776 on the Coin.
Just wondering if its the real deal and any advice moving forward. Thanks :]

Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkzac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! :]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

No expert on early colonials, but this just doesn't look right. Looks like a cast copy that's been made to look old. Is it magnetic by chance? If it is, then its a copy. From what I though these were copper, may be wrong. Details don't look right. Hope it is real, be quite valuable.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkzac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not magnetic...just tested it..Ive had it for 40 yrs. hope its not fake...well Thanks for your reply...I appreciate it :]
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice the casting seam on the edge that has had some sanding to make it less evident.

It's fake.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkzac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch....ok well Thanks I appreciate it....I have more coins to go through so ...time to move on from this one :{
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1579 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be cast.
Learn More...
Australia
12704 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I would assume the stamped "R" is short for "Replica". It would predate the 1973 Hobby Protection Act, which made such ambiguous markings illegal (replicas now need to be stamped "COPY").
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me as well.

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
18783 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got 3 or 4 of these fakes around here somewhere.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05