Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Divo Numeriano - With sharp double-strike!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Numerian was the young, good-looking and promising Emperor from 283-284 who followed his father Carus to the throne, and successfully withdrew his troops from the Sassanid Empire after his father had sacked Ctesiphon, functionally crippling Persian raids on the Roman East. Unfortunately, he was stricken by some sort of horrendous eye infection that left him nearly blind, confined to a closed coach and only able to see his advisor, Aper. The soldiers soon noticed a foul stench coming from the coach, and forced their way in, only to find that their emperor was nothing but a rotting corpse. Aper was put to death on the spot by Diocletian, who was proclaimed emperor. Mainly to appease the people, with whom Numerian was popular, Diocletian had Numerian deified, and briefly issued a commemorative series of coins for the occasion.

Divus Numerianus, struck 285?
DIVO NVMERIANO, Radiate head left
CONSECRATIO, Eagle standing forward, head left
Mintmark KAA?
RIC 424

Supposedly common, but I have seen very few of these coins for sale, and they seem to command steep prices!

Error coins' value tends to exceed my interest in them, so this is one I will be seeking a buyer for. Does anyone know if Eddop is still actively collecting? This would be right up his alley.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Learn More...
United States
20370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin, I like the double strike on the obverse. Eddop is our expert on the Carus dynasty.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10571 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a wonderful example. I probably bid on a dozen of these without winning one yet. And I'm not stingy. I agree that prices for this issue is often surprising.
Valued Member
Netherlands
404 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eddop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi your coin seems te be double struck on the obverse.

The mintmark is indeed KAA, 5th emission Nov 284 Rome.

These coins are even harder to find then the Nigrinian Consecratio, so not rare but scarce.

Hereby some of mine:

Valued Member
Spain
411 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin. Great double strike and nice detail on the eagle you can see the body feathers..

Quote:
horrendous eye infection that left him nearly blind

Yours must have been minted whilst he was in the coach

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, and very nice coins, @eddop!

You say that his coins are harder to find than Nigrinian... I thought Nigrinian was the ultimate rarity of the Crisis though? Well, besides Domitianus who is only attested by two individual coins.

What would be a fair asking price for this piece? Rare or not, I'm seeking sharp, detailed portraits and not errors.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Valued Member
Netherlands
404 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eddop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most people think the same as you do, I have about 150 different Nigrinian coins in my database, for Numerian about 25.
Take a look at vcoins, no Numerian consecratio for sale but 2 Nigrinians. Why they are that expensive? because of the cute boy?
I realy don't know. I my opinion they are heave overpriced.
I know what I paid for mine, yours is a nice specimen but double struck that will reduce the price.

Send me a PM, as a error coin it fits in my collection.

regards
Ed

Valued Member
New Zealand
161 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coins everyone. Still have to get one of him too.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05