Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 Large Cent Attribution Help  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Images not appropriate for this forum ***

Thought I posted this, but now I cannot find it anywhere.

I have an 1853 Large Cent that I am trying to attribute. I think it might be N-18, but the coin has some re-cutting or doubling at the bottom of LIBERTY, which is not found on any N-18 1853 Large Cents that I can observe online.

There is also a dash of some kind just above the denticle under the eight in the date.

Is there any 1853 Large Cent varieties with a doubled LIBERTY at the bottom? Is this a new variety not listed?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought I posted this, but now I cannot find it anywhere.

Probably taken down because of the back of your coin - just like this will probably be taken down. Delet your reverse picture, Cover the "CENT" word with a piece of paper then repost it.

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doh!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it was removed by the staff because the content is not appropriate for our family friendly community. We hope you understand.

It would be okay to re-post if you crop the images to what you are trying to attribute or cover the offending area.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd rather see good control of questionable material rather than a step on the slippery slide.

Pasasap - this isn't anything bad about you or your post. With all the "stuff" on the net it might be surprising that a photo would be taken down because of something so abstract. I for one applaud our mods for keeping us a safe place for everyone. But it's nothing against you, and I'm sure no one thinks ill of you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Did not even realize it was altered. Thought it was just scratched. The obverse is all that is needed to attribute the coin anyway. Most of the reverses at this point in time are standard with little to no differences that can be used for Attribution. Here is the obverse only. This is from the eBay seller. My scanner no longer works after I upgraded to Windows 10. Hope it is enough. The area of interest is the re-cutting below the word LIBERTY.

Edited by pasasap
12/05/2017 8:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I Did not even realize it was altered. Thought it was just scratched.

Pictures that are slightly enlarged show alot of details on here compared to the coin in hand, especially if ya didn't realize in the first place!

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take a shot, I believe it's an N18. I'd be interested on the thoughts of others....
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Edited by srs77
12/05/2017 11:46 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13217 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does look like N-18
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pasasap, I thank you for understanding and appreciate you making the effort.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NH collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mild "cleaning" may show better attribution points. From the picture, probably N-18.
EAC #357, ANA life member, C4 member
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05