Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Pursuit, Bust Quarters

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member

United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After completing my 7070, I knew I wanted to go for a new series. I decided on bust quarters for a few reasons:
- Impressive rarity numbers overall (admittedly PCGS and Browning differ, not sure who to trust more, but these coins are generally not very common)
- Reasonably short length = achievable
- Dansco kindly didn't include holes for some of the more expensive ones in the 6141 album :)
- For the early ones at least, the thinness of a dime combined with a diameter larger than a present-day quarter just doesn't exist today. It's a neat feeling.

Here's a photo of the requisite gear for this endeavor. The album with slip case is great, with extra holes for when I need them. The reference book will help with variety attribution. I've had the tool on the right for over 15 years, a hand-me-down from my dad, no clue what it is or why I kept it so long however it makes a nice slab cracker.

Going for roughly VG on the draped bust ones, F on the early capped bust ones, and VF on the later capped bust ones starting 1831. My intent is to only buy slabbed non-details coins. They must look good individually and look good together, so eye appeal does count.

I'll be posting the coins in the order purchased, with commentary when I have any. I'll keep updating this thread as the journey progresses. Thanks for looking!
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, up an 1806 ANACS VG8. I thought the detail looked good for VG, with the grade brought down by a few defects.

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next is an 1821 NGC F12. On these coins, I'm looking for full E PLURIBUS UNUM, which not all F examples have.

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1818 ANACS VG10. Slightly below my target grade, but this coin checked all my other boxes so I picked it up.

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1831 Small Letters NGC VF35

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1835 ANACS VF35

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1815 PCGS F15, first year capped bust and considered a semi-key.

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1822 NGC F15

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1824/2 PCGS F15, considered R-6.2 by PCGS with an estimate survival of 400.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7088 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1825/4/(2) PCGS F12 Browning 3

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1832 NGC VF25

Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good!

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1837 NGC VF30

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1838 PCGS VF25. That's all for now, but 12 of the 24 holes already! I'll post more as I acquire them.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13096 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll post more as I acquire them.

You have a nice start and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics as they enter your collection!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05