Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Libertad Acquisition And Question- Does Anyone Collect Libertads?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 2,135Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  1:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 2007 5 oz. Proof Libertad (mintage 500).

Despite being made not that too long ago, it is amazingly hard to find- at a decent price anyway.

I sent mine off to NGC to have it graded. To my thrill, it came back as Proof 69 UC.

There are none higher and I think it is only the 9th PF69 for NGC.

I was feeling pretty good on this, so I thought I would see if there are other Libertad collectors out there.

I don't see very much discussion on Libertads on this site and wanted to ask who collects them, and if they collect bullion or proof (or both) and all sizes, or just the 1 oz. etc.

I collect the whole silver.

From 1/20 to 5 oz. Both raw and slabbed. Both bullion and proof. I have 1 kilo as well, but not quite as interested in having a whole series complete of Kg sized coins. The safe deposit box is only so big.

Anyway, I have several bu sets complete raw, but do not have a slabbed bullion set complete (yet) and none of the proof series are fully complete (getting closer, lol).

The color you see on the coin is not on the coin, it is in the background and it is because I did not take good pictures. The coin is fantastic.

Edited by crazyglue
12/09/2017 1:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks beautiful. I have a couple but nothing near this quality.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gorgeous design and well worth collecting. But every squiggly little cent I can tie down goes to US.
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Libertads are my favorite coins in the world. I think they are truly the best looking coins on the market. I don't have a really big collection yet but I do have the 2001 and 2002 one ounce silver proof pieces which were both extremely low mintages. I also have the 2013 BU 1/20 gold piece that saw a mintage of 650 pieces, making it the lowest in the series.

You may want to invest in the one ounce silver reverse proofs, they are gorgeous. I just bought the 2017 coin last night on eBay, it's graded ms70, early release. I'm excited to see it and I'll post it here when it arrives.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2017  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taphandle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Libertads as well, I have a few rolls of 1oz from the past few years as well as 2 and 5oz from the same years. I couldn't get myself to step up to the plate for any of the proofs but certainly put some thought into it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2035 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2017  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just purchased my first, a 2017 bullion version. Even my wife, who isn't a coin fan, commented on the beauty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4457 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2017  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking!
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2017  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RealPeso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely beautiful! I also collect 1oz Libertads and have a few 2oz & 5oz in my possession if I found them at the right price.
Once in a while there will be a thread on Libertads just check back from time to time.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fayster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Libertad from every year. Some cost more than I should have paid for them - 1998, 2006 were low mintage years but I had Libertad fever and had to have them. Have a few 2oz and 5oz and 1 kilo. Love them to pieces.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The safe deposit box is only so big."
That's what gold is for. If you wanna cram silver into a rectangular box then do it with bars of the same shape, hence not round coins. This is how you "stack" for space.

I grab any Libertad I see but I really don't care what "brand" my elements come in. As a whole, I respect Libertads for the very fact that they don't try to say how many pesos it's worth. They're labeled with purity and weight and that's ALL you need to know. I don't meddle with proofs and collectible nonsense, no offense if you do though. They are great to look at aesthetically, but one really has to be married to the piece since one will never test it for the metal that it is because one is afraid to even touch it with one's bare fingers. Proofs, in my humble opinion, defeat the purpose of owning bullion.
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the explosion of the Mexican population in America, it'll be interesting to see where the price of these go in the next 10-20 years. I would assume that population would clamor for these beautiful coins.

I personally think they're the best looking coin in the world. The ASE would be a close second.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!

Beautiful crazyglue!
I have been wondering how your collection was coming along.
Looks amazing! Please keep the pics coming.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I have a 1 oz Libertad silver bullion collection going back to 1982. I really like the older bullion as they were thicker than the ones minted today and had edge lettering. Really neat coins that got me into collecting other silver bullion. I don't have any other sizes although it sounds like I'm missing an opportunity on some rare issues for the price. Anyway, very nice coin and congrats!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 2,135Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05