Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 LWC Error Identification And Value Request...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,482Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

71 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BmTrif6186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Going through my wheat cents and came across this 1942-P ("plain date") with a few missing letters on the Reverse that seems to me to be a dye error and not just the result of wear and tear... the first 3 letters (AME) of "AMERICA" are entirely absent and showing no signs of ever being there at all... there's no imprint or raised areas where the letters would have been if they were once there and were just worn away. Also there's a clear circular imprint where the letters should be and that also leads me to think it is in fact a dye error during the stamping process on the reverse of this coin! The letters and areas on either side of the circular imprint are all there and show consistent levels of "wear and tear" so it would seem very unlikely to me that just this one spot was so worn down that the letters were no longer visible while leaving the surrounding letters fully intact and visually consistent. Please refer to my pictures and any help/info identifying whether this is a true error or not would be greatly appreciated... I've just recently took on coin collecting as a hobby and there's much for me to learn especially in the area of identifying true error coins and their potential value... thank you in advance!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2905 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe it is the result of a grease filled die. as to value I will let someone with knowledge of usa cents answer that for you..
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would only pay 50 cents for it. It's a grease filled die. If there were more devices missing it would be a little more
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like results of a grease filled die, worth about $.01 unfortunately
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although not much value it's still worth keeping as a good example of a grease filled die, and
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48971 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a pretty decent example of a Struck Through Grease error. It's a keeper and a good example. Good find. :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10602 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see much, if any, premium for it as it only affects a few letters - But it is worth at least 2-3 because it's a Wheat cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48971 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye but to me it's basically a cull wheat given that stain and worth just a couple of cents.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Pillar of the Community
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mostly agree with the above. It is a struck through error coin, likely struck through grease, and a decent example of what is a very common error. In general, minor stains and blems do not much affect the value of error coins as people are buying the error not so much the date and grade. Either way, it's got a fair premium for a one cent coin and I would value it at somewhere around $1.25.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common minting errors such as these are quite frequent, all are part of the manufacture of coins and because are so frequent have little if any premium values. A "grease fill" as stated is the process of polishing the dies to remove imperfection. A diamond paste is used and sometimes upon wiping off the operating greases, paste and debris get stuck in the die devices(reverse image remember) blocking the imprint.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48971 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2017  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking and posting!
Learn More...
United States
87873 Posts
Valued Member
71 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2017  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BmTrif6186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to ALL for the warm welcoming words and for responding to my post... this is exactly the right place for someone like myself trying to learn about my new hobby!! Awesome forum and I have so many more posts coming...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05